Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cant read user data from RFID card, using 28440 R/W, and writable card. — Parallax Forums

Cant read user data from RFID card, using 28440 R/W, and writable card.

Patrick ColemanPatrick Coleman Posts: 43
edited 2015-10-13 04:25 in BASIC Stamp
I'm having trouble writing to and reading the user data from the R/W card ( https://www.parallax.com/product/28441 ) using the ( https://www.parallax.com/product/28440 ) device. Ive searched the forum, and used the demo code, but cant get the writable and read-back part to work. It will read the unique serial hex, but nothing else. After a short time, it will say "Success! End of test"

I bought the 2.49 USD card which should have the R/W capability.

I don't see where the part of the code:

DEBUG "Writing and verifying data to tag..."
Write_Tag:
SEROUT RFID_TX, Baud, ["!RW", RFID_Write, 3, $FE, $ED, $BE, $EF] ' Write $FEEDBEEF into address 4 (user EEPROM area)

Would fail, but it should report "FEEDBEEF" when read back.

I'm using the Basic stamp 2.

Please help
Thank you,

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Are you keeping the tag within range (of the R/W module) during the write cycle?
  • Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I can see if I get rid of the "pause 2000" then it will run through many times, so the proximity cant be the issue. I must be making a programming error.

I'm using the Basic Stamp 2, and have tried the demo code. but I just don't see why I cant read the 116 byte eeprom.
    I bought the 28440 RW, and the more expensive card (2.49 $).

I just don't know what to do, and would like to be able to write a short sting of characters to the card, and read them back.
    Did you download the code from our website or did you type it in? There shouldn't be a program error if using the downloaded version of the code from our website.
  • Patrick ColemanPatrick Coleman Posts: 43
    edited 2015-10-13 20:12
    I downloaded the example code. There are several. ive run them all.

also, ive looked at the PDF, but cant get this stuff to work either.

Command Set

0x01: RFID_Read
    Read data from a specified address Input: Address location (1 byte), valid locations are 1-33 decimal Output: Status byte (1 byte) + data (4 bytes) Example: SEROUT RFID_TX, Baud, ["!RW", RFID_Read, ADDR_Serial] ' Read tag's serial number SERIN RFID_RX, Baud, [err, STR data\4] ' Get status byte & data bytes

0x02: RFID_Write
    Write data to a specified address Input: Address location (1 byte), valid locations are 3-31 decimal + data (4 bytes) Output: Status byte (1 byte) Example: ' Write $FEEDBEEF to address 3 (User Data Area) SEROUT RFID_TX, Baud, ["!RW", RFID_Write, 3, $FE, $ED, $BE, $EF] SERIN RFID_RX, Baud, [err] ' Get status byte
    Note: After writing the specified data to the tag, the RFID Read/Write Module automatically performs a read function to verify that the data has properly been written.
    I will have to set up a unit in the same configuration and test it myself to see if I have the same issues. We've not had any other reports of issues. Do you have a second R/W tag in case there's some issue with the tag itself?
  • Patrick ColemanPatrick Coleman Posts: 43
    edited 2015-10-14 17:44
    I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

The physical parts are fine. I bought 7 cards, a reader and a BS2. the system works fine with reading the serial data of the round black "world" and other tags, obviously only reading with no data user read back because they don't have that ability..

This is for a drone Kickstarter, so I need this figured out in the next 7-10 days to stay on schedule, ill be moving the burn test up to keep on track.
  • Ive verified the physical schematic and parts, but still cant get the read-back part to work. The example code should be working.
    I'm going to have Zakia in Tech Support build your setup right now and test the code and hardware from our end to see if we have the same problem. I will have her follow-up with her results.
  • Excellent thank you. I'm sure its an error on my end.
    It could very well be something on our end. We won't know unless we try and duplicate the error. All I can say for sure is that up to know I am not aware of anyone else reporting this issue. =)
  • Hello,

You mentioned,
    Would fail, but it should report "FEEDBEEF" when read back.

From my understanding, you loaded the rfid_rw_test.bs2; and expecting to see the values written to the tag. If so, the rfid_rw_test.bs2 code, will not report any values. It reads the tag's unique serial number prints it; then prints "Writing and verifying data to tag..."; without printing any values. The code then "behind the scenes" keeps trying if an error occurs, until it successfully writes and verifies data to the tag. And finally prints "success" as shown on the terminal in the first picture <rfid_rw_test> below.

The rfid_rw_demo.bs2 code, on the other hand reports the tag's memory contents and prints it. As shown in the second picture <rfid_rw_demo>.

After you load the rfid_rw_demo.bs2 code into your board, please report back to me what you are seeing in the terminal. If your code gets stuck at some point, keep your tag in range; and let me know if that fixes the issue.

Respectfully
    Zakia Ben Youss
    Technical Support
    Parallax, inc
    1373 x 903 - 266K
    1433 x 949 - 49K