Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How does private messaging work here? — Parallax Forums

How does private messaging work here?

Has anyone figured out how to work private messaging here?

As far as I can tell it it is totally broken.

Just now I tried to send a PM to Phi Pi and it ended up somewhere else.

Whilst checking that I found messages from potatohead from weeks ago about the Assembly gathering Helsinki , thanks spud, but now I cannot find those messages again.

What goes on here?

Comments

• I just sent you a private message.
  • To get back to your inbox, click on your own profile/picture and clock on "inbox" in the left-hand menu.
  • heater wrote:
    Just now I tried to send a PM to Phi Pi and it ended up somewhere else.
    It certainly didn't land in my inbox. Maybe the NSA intercepted it en route. :)

-Phil
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-10-03 07:05
    That message I sent to Phil ended up with Publison. Who replied explaining that :
    ... your message showed up in the general activity area viewable by anyone signed in. Did you try and send a Private Message, or other means?

Phil currently does not have PM's turned on, (hasn't for years).
    Now I cannot find the text of the message I sent to Phil anywhere.

What goes on here?
  • Phil currently does not have PM's turned on, (hasn't for years).
    That was true of the old forum. I've been getting PMs here, since there doesn't seem to be a way to disable them. That notwithstanding, I've allowed my email address to remain public in my profile and prefer that to PMs for private comms -- especially now since PMs no longer seem all that private.

-Phil
    OK, now that I'm not so tired I see the problem.

When I click on "Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" I end up at "Home › Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) › Activity" and am presented with a text box with "Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" clearly shown at the top.

Being tired or, well, just a normal person, I assume I'm then typing a private message to Phil.

No, turns out I'm not. Turns out I'm shouting a message to the world that is plastered on some "activity" area.

Why on earth do we have such a brain dead and confusing feature?

Or am I brain dead?

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-10-03 09:50
    You are not. You are completely normal. I have been watching that 'Activity' area since the beginning and it's clear that *every new visitor* believes one of two things: 1) That Activity is where the forum is, and they keep "posting" there (with little useful response, of course), or 2) that they have found the PM function. And ends up posting to Activity instead. And this happens not only to visitors, but to lots of old-timers here as well.

Please please please forum owners, get rid of that utterly useless and confusing "Activity" area. Many have asked for this since the very beginning. Spammers like that place too.
    edited 2015-10-03 09:59
    Phew, it's not me. Well, mostly not me then.

Yes, please can we get rid of that activity nonsense?