Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The addressing conundrum - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

The addressing conundrum

Comments

• cgracey wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    ...Again, I don't see any need to support unaligned hub execution...

Here is an example of why unaligned hub code is important:
    	call	@send_string
    	db	13,13,"The time is ",0
    	mov	val,hours
    	call	@send_decimal2
    	call	@send_string
    	db	':',0
    	mov	val,minutes
    	call	@send_decimal2
    	call	@send_string
    	db	" and the date is ",0

You can do things like that, which is way better than having to get pointers to data located elsewhere.

But you can also do it with immediates:
            call	#send_string
    	mov	val,hours
    	call	#send_decimal2
    	call	#send_string
    	mov	val,minutes
    	call	#send_decimal2
    	call	#send_string
    	db	" and the date is ",0

And that would work the same, would it not?

Also, what is "db"?
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Edit: I can't imagine ever coding that up that way. I would gather all the strings up into a data area and have labels to them that would get passed to send_string. Makes for simpler code that is easier to change and edit in the future.

That is the more common approach, and how HLL would do it, but Chip's code is much smaller and elegantly simple.

edited 2015-10-01 22:36
    Yes that would be kind of cool but you could still do this even without byte addressing if you pad the text to the next long boundary.

That would need a variant of db*, to append packers, and then send_string code needs to be packer-aware, or use round-up for the return address patch.
    Maybe even a RET variant that uses bytepointer as a param, and knows to do the round-up ?

* a db variant that would be useful here, could be
      nstr   13,13,"The time is "    // c String insert, pack append null 
      lstr   13,13,"The time is "    // Pascal/Basic string insert,  length prefix, pack append

• jmg,
    Actually, Chip's code is not smaller at all. It's just arranged differently. The actual code of the send_string function would be smaller in my variant, since it wouldn't need to manipulate the return address.

I guess my variant having the labels added makes the source code a tiny amount larger, but I wouldn't call that much larger.

Honestly, for this kind of formatted string stuff I would not do it piecemeal like that at all, I'd implement something like printf.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    x
    Seairth wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    ...Again, I don't see any need to support unaligned hub execution...

Here is an example of why unaligned hub code is important:
    	call	@send_string
    	mov	val,hours
    	call	@send_decimal2
    	call	@send_string
    	mov	val,minutes
    	call	@send_decimal2
    	call	@send_string
    	db	" and the date is ",0

You can do things like that, which is way better than having to get pointers to data located elsewhere.

call	#send_string
    	mov	val,hours
    	call	#send_decimal2
    	call	#send_string
    	mov	val,minutes
    	call	#send_decimal2
    	call	#send_string
    	db	" and the date is ",0

Also, what is "db"?

Woops! That 'db' should be 'byte'. It looked so much like x86 code that I shifted into it.

Of course, you could use '#' instead of '@'. The point was to show that you could have subroutines that pop the return address, read some variable number of data, and then return right after the data.
    I guess my variant having the labels added makes the source code a tiny amount larger, but I wouldn't call that much larger.
    You need a label for every string, and that label in HUB likely needs a 32b load which is 8 bytes every string.
    "a tiny amount" ? - depends on how you define tiny!

Also, what is "db"?

db is Data Byte a common Assembler directive for entering strings and arrays of bytes.
    Many assemblers also have
    db,dw,dd,dq, for increasingly larger 'pieces'
    eg
    DD 0,0C800F800H,19990101,4711,'ABCD',3.1415927
            call	#send_string
    	mov	val,hours
    	call	#send_decimal2
    	call	#send_string
    	mov	val,minutes
    	call	#send_decimal2
    	call	#send_string
    	db	" and the date is ",0

even better, is to do what (all?) other assemblers do
            call	send_string
    	mov	val,hours
    	call	send_decimal2
    	call	send_string
    	mov	val,minutes
    	call	send_decimal2
    	call	send_string
    	db	" and the date is ",0

That code is readable to someone coming from almost any other MCU and the labels are auto-managed by the tools.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Sorry, but I don't see the necessity to mix strings and code. But hey, if you want to do that then why not just make the compiler pad to the next long.

I am certain the simplest model is...

Instruction Model
    - All addresses in LONG format
    - All addresses long-aligned

COG/LUT Memory Model
    - All data and register addresses in LONG format
    - All data and register addresses long-aligned

HUB Memory Model
    - All data addresses in BYTE format
    - All data addresses byte-aligned
    - Accessible using SETQ and RD/WR-LONG/WORD/BYTE

The models are simple.
    The instructions remain the same in both hub-exec and cog-exec modes.

The only break from long addresses and long aligned is for HUB Memory access which is in bytes.
    Special instructions are used to access the hub.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2015-10-01 23:11
    jmg wrote: »
    You need a label for every string, and that label in HUB likely needs a 32b load which is 8 bytes every string.
    "a tiny amount" ? - depends on how you define tiny!
    Sigh...

So, yes, it's one extra instruction to load the address of the string before calling the function (2 if it needs 32bit). Chip's code has to use extra instructions in the function to get the address of the string, and then change it and put it back for the return to work. So for a few strings, it's a wash. Mine does get larger with more strings, but only a small amount.

That code example doesn't work in COG/LUT space at all. For COG/LUT space you'd have to do it the way I said, where the strings are in hub, the code in cog/lut, and use labels to address the strings. If you code it that way to start with then the code can work in either hub or cog space.

Again, I wouldn't do any of this in this way at all in real code.

In any case, allowing code to be unaligned in hub space is what's causing us to have binary incompatibility between cug/hub spaces.
    I've been thinking very hard about what Cluso99 is saying, since he's being so adamant. And I see the ramifications for compiler makers.

I think I have a solution that will please everyone.

Consider that ANY code that is going to run in both cog and hub must use relative jumps within itself, as absolute execution addresses are different between modes.

And here is the whole problem with cog exec vs. hub exec: In cog exec, the PC steps by 1, whereas in hub exec it must step by 4. This creates different relative address encodings which make binaries incompatible between cog exec and hub exec modes.

Well, what if we assembled those 20-bit relative addresses in cog code as shifted left by two bits? This will give them the same expanse as hub code. Then, whenever we are in cog exec, we always shift relative addresses down by two bits before adding them to the PC. Now, the same binary will run in both modes.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

No problem, but that's because I'm familiar with the P1 way; new users will probably find it hard to wrap their head around (as I probably did oh so many years ago that I can't remember). Why not just extend it a little further and have everything in bytes (COG, LUT, HUB, & PC in all exec modes) like everyone else (and GCC) does ? This would have binary compatibility in all modes (except for REP) and allow non-long-aligned hub execution.

I know the >>2 was confusing before, but this should be taken care of by the compiler, not by us. I.e., an absolute immediate instruction address (in bytes) will be parsed by the compiler, and if it meets the criteria for COGexec, it will take bits 2-10 and put it in the instruction encoding; if not, it will take bits 0-8 for the instruction and bits 9-19 for the ALTDS. If we want to specify ## so the compiler doesn't do it behind our back (or instruct it to warn us if we put in a number larger than $7ff with a single #), we can, but we don't need to.

In any case, I don't think it's more confusing than having data tables in hub and cog/lut that need to be corrected by >>2 to be consistent (i.e., Cog_ptr++; Hub_ptr+=4, which I have messed up many times), and will disappear if everything is in bytes, along with .cog_ram/.pasm.
            call	#send_string
    	mov	val,hours
    	call	#send_decimal2
    	call	#send_string
    	mov	val,minutes
    	call	#send_decimal2
    	call	#send_string
    	db	" and the date is ",0

call	send_string
    	mov	val,hours
    	call	send_decimal2
    	call	send_string
    	mov	val,minutes
    	call	send_decimal2
    	call	send_string
    	db	" and the date is ",0

That code is readable to someone coming from almost any other MCU and the labels are auto-managed by the tools.

It seems relative addressing should be the standard inside self-contained blocks.

Absolute addressing should be for hub <--> cog.

We need to figure out what the rules should be, because it would be awfully nice to make #/@ optional.
    edited 2015-10-01 23:51
    Here's what the send_string would look like:
    		call	@send_string
    		byte	"The time is ",0
    		mov	val,hours
    		call	@send_decimal2
    		call	@send_string
    		byte	':',0
    		mov	val,minutes
    		call	@send_decimal2
    		call	@sendstring
    		byte	" and the data is ",0

send_string	pop	ptra
    :loop		rdbyte	chr,ptra++	wz
    	if_z	jmp	ptra
    		call	@send_chr
    		jmp	@:loop

Note the fluidity with which registers (PTRA in this case) can interact with your code address. If we got rid of the PC's full 20 bits in their current arrangement, in order to do a long-index PC, you couldn't things like this. We'd need special instructions to masssage over the two-bit differences.
  • jmg wrote: »
    Also, what is "db"?

db is Data Byte a common Assembler directive for entering strings and arrays of bytes.
    Many assemblers also have
    db,dw,dd,dq, for increasingly larger 'pieces'
    eg
    DD 0,0C800F800H,19990101,4711,'ABCD',3.1415927

Yes, I knew what it was in other assemblers. But not in PASM, which is why I asked.

I totally get Chip's slippage though. I've done that more than a few times myself when working in multiple languages at the same time.
    edited 2015-10-01 23:33

call	send_string
    	mov	val,hours
    	call	send_decimal2
    	call	send_string
    	mov	val,minutes
    	call	send_decimal2
    	call	send_string
    	db	" and the date is ",0

It seems relative addressing should be the standard inside self-contained blocks.
    Agreed. Smaller, and inherently relocatable.
    Does relative addressing not work across the boundary, or it is more a limited-reach issue ?
    We need to figure out what the rules should be, because it would be awfully nice to make #/@ optional.

Most assemblers use the smallest opcode, usually, that is relative by default.
    eg CALL and JMP are the generic 'use the smallest'

Some have a different call to force far or absolute - eg FCALL or LCALL
    and can force small(relative) with SJMP or RJMP
    That can help with forward labels on assemblers that limit passes.
    In all cases, if the ASM does find a label is 'too far' an error is generated.

Chip,
    Agreed that relative addressing should be the default inside self-contained blocks of code, and absolute addressing between separate blocks (doesn't matter if they are hub <--> cog or within the same space. For example, we may be compiling code that is relocatable or replaceable. So we need to be able to override the default.
    ...In any case, allowing code to be unaligned in hub space is what's causing us to have binary incompatibility between cug/hub spaces.

I've already implemented the shifts for relative branches.

For 9-bit relative branches:
    In the case of cog exec, the 9 bits are sign-extended to 20 bits for the offset.
    In the case of hub exec, the 9 bits are sign-exended to 20 bits and then shifted left two bits for the offset.

For 20-bit relative branches:
    In the case of cog exec, they are arithmetically shifted right by two bits for the offset.
    In the case of hub exec, they are used as-is.

So, do we not have binary portability (with the current exception of REP) for relocatable code?
    edited 2015-10-01 23:45

In the case of cog exec, the 9 bits are sign-extended to 20 bits for the offset.
    In the case of hub exec, the 9 bits are sign-exended to 20 bits and then shifted left two bits for the offset.

In the case of cog exec, they are arithmetically shifted right by two bits for the offset.

So, do we not have binary portability (with the current exception of REP) for relocatable code?

Try it and see ?

Binary portability (with the current exception of REP) for relocatable code, would be nice.

You mentioned before some issues with relative branches not being portable ?

I think a change in alignment is the killer, so tools could have an align-mode that avoided/warned on any change inside a code block.
    Things like db could have a align variant, to allow users to code mostly 'long-legal'

call	send_string
    	mov	val,hours
    	call	send_decimal2
    	call	send_string
    	mov	val,minutes
    	call	send_decimal2
    	call	send_string
    	db	" and the date is ",0

Agreed. Smaller, and inherently relocatable.
    Does relative addressing not work across the boundary, or it is more a limited-reach issue ?

Most assemblers use the smallest opcode, usually, that is relative by default.
    eg CALL and JMP are the generic 'use the smallest'

Some have a different call to force far or absolute - eg FCALL or LCALL
    and can force small(relative) with SJMP or RJMP
    That can help with forward labels on assemblers that limit passes.
    In all cases, if the ASM does find a label is 'too far' an error is generated.

With 32-bit opcodes, we pack full 20-bit addresses for JMP/CALL/CALLA/CALLB/CALLD/LOC into single instructions. So, there is no way to get smaller branches. The only quirk is the D,@ branches which are 9-bit relative. Those only reach -256..+255 instructions, but they also perform operations on D.

Relative addressing works from anywhere to anywhere. It's just that in the case of relocatable code, you wouldn't want to have relative branches coming into or going out of your code, since you're moving around. Those external addresses would either have to be absolute or in registers at run time.

• Chip,

What about non-relative branches? Do they not work differently in hub vs cog space?

If I have a function that calls other functions at absolute addresses, can that function be run in hub space and also copied to cog space and run there too? The function it calls don't move, just the function itself.
    edited 2015-10-02 00:07

Try it and see ?

Binary portability (with the current exception of REP) for relocatable code, would be nice.

You mentioned before some issues with relative branches not being portable ?

I think a change in alignment is the killer, so tools could have an align-mode that avoided/warned on any change inside a code block.
    Things like db could have a align variant, to allow users to code mostly 'long-legal'

What I'm implementing now fixes the old problem of relative addresses winding up differently between cog and hub code. They'll be the same now. The only caveat for hub code to run in the cog will be that its instructions are relatively long-aligned, so that they go into the cog's long registers properly. Oh, and don't use REP in hub code - but I'm going to see about changing that, just for compatibility's sake.
    Chip,

What about non-relative branches? Do they not work differently in hub vs cog space?

If I have a function that calls other functions at absolute addresses, can that function be run in hub space and also copied to cog space and run there too? The function it calls don't move, just the function itself.

No, absolute branches are absolute. They will work from anywhere.

Only relative branches work differently, but nobody would probably notice, because things would just work as expected in either domain.
    I realize that we need a new instruction:

JMPREL D

It will add D to the PC for zero-based jump tables.

It will use D<<2 when in hub exec mode.

This will provide a 'case' mechanism which will work in portable binaries.
    The only caveat for hub code to run in the cog will be that its instructions are relatively long-aligned, so that they go into the cog's long registers properly.

It should be easy to have the tools check that, if users can tag a code area as aligned.
    Oh, and don't use REP in hub code - but I'm going to see about changing that, just for compatibility's sake.
    That's nice to cover, but the tools can catch a REP in the wrong place, if this is too difficult.

Of course, you could use '#' instead of '@'. The point was to show that you could have subroutines that pop the return address, read some variable number of data, and then return right after the data.

Sorry. I mixed up two different conversations. I think your example code was addressing the question of unaligned instructions. I was focusing on it with respect to the conversation about relative addressing.

But, since I am on that topic...

I agree. The issue (that I focused on) with your example above is that I do not consider the send_string and send_decimal2 subroutines to be part of the same self-contained block. Hence the use of immediate addressing.

edited 2015-10-02 01:48
    Chip,
    IMHO you are at least headed in the right direction.

But I still believe this is more complicated than it needs to be, all for the sake of being able to run non-long-aligned in hubexec (only).

BTW forget REP if it is too difficult. Its easy to workaround if we need portable code between hubexec and cogexec.

Ah... well. Ignore my last comments, then. We'll have to try it out and see how it feels.

When might we expect the next image to be released?
    edited 2015-10-02 02:07
    I realize that we need a new instruction:

JMPREL D

It will add D to the PC for zero-based jump tables.

It will use D<<2 when in hub exec mode.

This will provide a 'case' mechanism which will work in portable binaries.

That sounds cool :)
    Case tables are very useful things.
    ...When might we expect the next image to be released?

Hopefully, within 24 hours.
  • Chip,
    +1 for JMPREL D

I'm good with how things are now, but would prefer it if REP worked in hubexec also, Having it silently fail is bad in my opinion.