Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HELP NEEDED — Parallax Forums

HELP NEEDED

Hi, I have one of these products, a basic stamp controller, BS2SX. I have to program a software into it but I don't know how. The software must be able to monitor incontinence for the elderly. Also, using this stamp, I have to build a circuit in which it will enable the software to work. Circuit consisting of basic LED lights, buzzer, water sensor, and/or Bluetooth. Does anyone have any solutions/ideas?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2015-09-25 02:30
    Sounds like a school project. Start with "What's a Microcontroller?" and the "Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual". Both are downloadable for free from Parallax's webstore (look under Downloads).

Both references show examples of LED use and how to make sounds. Exactly how to connect a buzzer or sensor depends on the buzzer and sensor details. Most of the Bluetooth devices you can use with a BS2SX use a serial interface. Go to the Parallax webstore pages on the Bluetooth devices they carry and you'll find examples of their use with other Stamp models. The SERIN and SEROUT statements provide the serial interface for the Stamps. The Reference Manual shows the Baud constants for the various Stamp models. Some of the examples may use other models and the Baud constants may be different.

Search the webstore page for Nuts and Volts. There's a series of columns from Nuts and Volts Magazine on Stamp use ... full of examples.
  • Hello JackeyCJM,

Chapter 5 of Applied Sensors has a Wetness Alarm that you can use as a reference.
    The code is written for the BS2 which is slower than the BS2SX so you will need to adjust the values of the time critical commands.
    The BASIC Stamp Manual that Mike referenced gives the timing values of each command.
    Generally the BS2SX is 2.5X the BS2 but some values are much different.
    http://www.digikey.com/Web Export/Supplier Content/Parallax_149/PDF/Parallax_AppliedSensorsGuide.pdf?redirected=1

You will need to use a transistor to control a buzzer so notice how Chapter 6 of Applied Sensors uses a transistor to control a pump. What's a Microcontroller also uses a transistor to turn an LED on and off.