Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pibot? — Parallax Forums

Pibot?

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
Just saw this: http://pibot.org/

I wonder if it's using the same cheapo undergeared 1:48 motors as the Magician and all those other poor robots. The wheels sure look the same. If so, all that amazing Pi processing power is wasted on a bad chassis design.

We have to find a way to stop those motors from ever being made again.

Comments

• xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2015-09-09 04:01
    For a $48 bare bones kit at kickstarter prices they probably are. I have a couple but haven't used them, are they really bad?

I noticed the kickstarter was another bot they had funded.
  • erco wrote: »
    Just saw this: http://pibot.org/

They posted on LMR back in June. So far I've been very unimpressed but the PiBot.
    erco wrote: »
    We have to find a way to stop those motors from ever being made again.

Someone needs to tell this guy. I think he's doing some really cool stuff but I'm afraid he's trying to make a purse with a sow's ear.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2015-09-09 05:03
    , But other than that, it's very nice with all of its colorful plastic parts. :)

Duane, That is some really cool stuff from that guy, He may be using cheap motors,
    But what kind of power do you really need for to make an evil marionette dance like that?
    I guess some Pigs do need lipstick...

-Tommy
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2015-09-09 06:44
    Holy Smile, that guy's done an amazing job! Certainly took the long way around, adding feedback pots, but the results are stunning! BTW he mentioned 1:200 gearmotors, which are great. It's the fast 1:48 ones at which I take umbrage. Might be ok for 1" diameter disk wheels, but not the big heavy wide tires & yellow hubs they normally sell it with.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-09-09 08:34
  • Take a look at the Tamiya motor kits. They have some good ones. But even the ones intended for the tractor tread body, (with universal plate), turns out to be a big heap of <DELETED!>. All of you get the idea I'm sure.

People need to learn from their mistakes. After all we've gone from flying aircraft that were basically the same as the wooden models with paper or fabric coverings with underpowered engines on them, and yes with people on them, to metal skinned and metal framework and jet engines, in only one hundred and thirteen years.

And if the basic design works, I'm fairly certain that the buyer would be able to adapt better motors to the body.
  • erco wrote: »
    . . . he mentioned 1:200 gearmotors, which are great. It's the fast 1:48 ones at which I take umbrage.

Good to know. I was afraid effort would be wasted on bad motors.
    . . . And if the basic design works, I'm fairly certain that the buyer would be able to adapt better motors to the body.

If you've got a couple of motors, it doesn't take much work to turn them into a robot. Just grab some wood, plastic or foam board and slap the motors and wheels on it. Here's my one of my "cheap bots".

attachment.php?attachmentid=99080&d=1360118436

In the future, I'll probably use the Propeller Project Board for these cheap bots since the Project Board costs so much less than the QuickStart board. Here's a link to a forum thread about inexpensive robot parts.

• Nifty.
    I'll have to give that some thought. I'm up to my waist in QS boards with RS exploding like that.