jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
edited 2015-09-01 22:52 in Robotics
any good tutorials or examples of controling a robot over wi-fi

example

operator sits at a base station

robot moves in a building and uses existing internet wifi

for commands and audio /video

Comments

• I haven't seen any discussion of the use of WiFi for combined control and audio/video. For that you'd need something like a RaspberryPi on the robot end. Most of the WiFi interfaces that could be used with a Propeller are not designed for the multiple high speed channels you'd need. Theoretically a Propeller could use a low resolution video camera and compress the video and audio from an ADC, then combine those with a control channel, but it could be done simpler and easier with a RaspPi.

Without the video and audio (maybe carried wirelessly separately), you could just use an xBee-XV on a Propeller Activity Board. There's a version of FemtoBasic somewhere here in the forums that's modified to use the xBee as its console so you can program as well as send text back and forth (for commands). The xBee-XV can be configured to join a specific WiFi network automatically when it's powered up.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    Wowwee Rovio. Was $100 new once on Woot. Occasionally I see used Rovios on Ebay for $100 still. Nice product.
  • Check out Elf:

http://www.mikronauts.com/robot-zoo/elf-2wd-pi-robot/

Elf is based on RoboPi (propeller!!!) and a Raspberry Pi with a Pi Camera.

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/robopi/

I usually program Elf by ssh'ing into it and use Python from the shell, however at times I also run a desktop on it remotely (xrdp for the server on Elf, remmina or similar RDP client on the PC)
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-10-28 17:24
    A hacked wifi mini-router might work well. Unlike the Raspberry Pi, it doesn't have a Linux system that includes all the HDMI video, the audio, and the Linux WindowX for GUI. That can be good or bad, depending on how you want to do things.

Heater and I worked on loading OpenWRT into a TP-Link MR3020 and the having it remoted download Propeller programs, compile SPIN to binaries, and install the binaries on the Propeller. Or you can have Forth on the Propeller and just program and operate remotely using Forth on the Propeller.

Adding video and audio channels might be a bit too much, but may may be possible by using the MR-3020's USB channel to control the Propeller and the MR-3020's LAN port to use a network camera that also provides audio. In that way, the Propeller would be dedicated to robot movements, not all and everything. The MR-3020 would handle all the wifi traffic.

Tutorial and example materials would be mostly provided by OpenWRT's hack of the MR3020. Heater and myself have some experience with the hack. I actually have two MR3020 devices. I sent him one. They cost less than $30 US and have a case and power supply included. The easiest Propeller interface is through the provided USB port, but a TTL RS-232 can be created if you need the USB port for a camera. I am not sure Linux would have drivers for your USB camera.. becareful shopping for one.