Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anti-Robot Protest at India Factory after Fatality — Parallax Forums

Anti-Robot Protest at India Factory after Fatality

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2015-08-17 20:14 in Robotics
Sadly, a different take on the "robot revolution". Angry workers halted work at the factory in protest.
http://www.roboticstrends.com/article/factory_robot_kills_worker_in_india

Here's a robotic story with a happier ending: http://www.roboticstrends.com/article/tony_stark_delivers_working_iron_man_robot_arm_to_7_year_old_boy

Comments

• Really sad story. I would not blame the use of robots though. I work in a lot of factories and these kind of things do not happen with proper lockout procedure.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-08-18 16:44
    About a week or two ago, a woman in China was in the news as she was killed by an escalator that actually pulled her into the inner workings just as she tossed her baby to a by-stander.

http://time.com/3972808/china-jingzhou-escalater-woman-killed-son-survives/

Apparently, workers serviced the escalator and did not properly secure the inspection plate that was also the platform at the end of run.

Blame the escalator? Blame the robot? It is hard to say. There are billions in the world that just don't understand machinery that suddenly appears in their lives.

And nobody in the Third World really has those cozy little safety meetings on a weekly basis.

Of course, the big explosion in China with 700 tons of Sodium Cyanide is even more boggling. The US has alarm systems, special firefighters, and community awareness for anything that is like that. And, whole special shipping ports away from the general population are designated for hazardous cargo.

+++
    In the USA, any crane on a city street require barriers and a full-time laborer just to direct traffic. Here in Taiwan, no barriers and nobody flagging traffic -- just the crane and the operator with laborers loading the crane or waiting for the next load.

I have watched and waited for this to change for 20 years now -- not yet. Bosses want to keep costs down.

The world has a lot of catching up to do. Be aware of your surrounding when traveling abroad - anything goes.

+++++++++++
    And yet, I have done 'high work' on construction sites in the USA where a 25 year old fellow worker fell 16 stories to his death, had everyone walk off the job for the lack of proper safety nets, and it never hit the local news..nor the national.

The reporting may be a bit biased. Never heard from OSHA either, but the contractor was very upset with a rise in his insurance premiums.
  • That's human error.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-08-19 13:40
    It is always human error, the machine just does what it does.
    But sometimes it is the machine operator, other times it is management pushing people to do unsafe things, not educating workers about safe operation, or not providing adequate protective features.

=========
    It seems insurance companies do more to push businesses to improve than governments.