Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Shiftout question — Parallax Forums

Shiftout question

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
edited 2015-10-11 19:43 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
New project time again. And in viewing my past discussions. Including a few real doozies, I found one regarding how to shift data around a stamp and into two of my parts, a display and a PAL chip that I'd recovered a couple of years ago, as part of a bundle.Here:
http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/153512/new-project-with-three-familiar-devices#latest

As I recall it worked as intended. But in reviewing the instruction that's the title of this one, I realized that its not normally possible to make use of a variable to send data that way. However it did work. 
Now the completely funny part, is my logic faulty? Or are my perceptions faulty? 
However I do note that its a BS2 instruction, not a BS1 one. That one the help screen is clear on.

Comments

• tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
    edited 2015-07-15 16:17
    If the question is "Can I use a variable with SHIFTOUT?", the answer is "yes".
    Edit:  Actually, now that I think about it, I cannot think of a single instance in 2.5 where one cannot use a Variable or previously defined Constant or Expression in place of a Literal.  EndEdit