Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Here come the drone laws. — Parallax Forums

Here come the drone laws.

Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
edited 2015-06-28 01:07 in Robotics
Seems the gigs up http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ContentRecord_id=8c18ceb0-4ca0-4a1d-a251-cf8e9e94c06e

I thought all this was covered by model aircraft regulations already.

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2015-06-19 04:11
    Drone displays have been banned from the Paris Air Show, apart from 5 am when hardly anyone will be there:

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1326893
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2015-06-19 16:25
    With the exception of Fox Sports they are also banned from the U.S. Open.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2015-06-19 18:28
    Heater. wrote: »
    Seems the gigs up http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ContentRecord_id=8c18ceb0-4ca0-4a1d-a251-cf8e9e94c06e

I thought all this was covered by model aircraft regulations already.

I agree. Every example given is already covered by existing regulations. They want model aircraft to be geofenced - good luck with that.

Putting the responsibility onto the manufacturer rather than the pilot means that people will think that anything they can do must be legal, otherwise they would not have the ability to do it. Requiring safeguards means that people will think flying over crowds, traffic, whatever is okay because their drone is built "safe".
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2015-06-19 19:22
    Two cards I won't leave home without, PPL and an AMA :) This whole thing sucks... It's not about equipment, it's all about misguided people. What can you do about that?

Seriously. Figure something out I want it on my desk by morning!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2015-06-20 00:16
    Personally, I think a lot of this is driven by people wanting to industrialize and how that conflicts with people making their own.
  • jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2015-06-26 10:30
    Drones are currently getting bad press in southern California. Apparently somebody wanted to get some good aerial video of the fires that are burning in this area, so was flying over the fires. Unfortunately, there were air tanker operations going on at the same time so TFRs were in effect, making any drone flights illegal. The tankers were pulled off the fires until it was certain the drones weren't flying, which naturally upset the firefighting agencies and local law enforcement. Google "california fires drones" to see what the media are saying. Not the sort of attention the hobby needs, and just the sort of thing that results in more regulation.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2015-06-26 17:12
    jones wrote: »
    Not the sort of attention the hobby needs, and just the sort of thing that results in more regulation.

Jones on drones!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  • jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2015-06-26 19:10
    erco wrote: »
    Jones on drones!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Hmmmm. I have been accused of "droning" at times, but I think they meant something different.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2015-06-26 19:32
    A lot of fire departments are using drones. They don't like it when other people walk onto a scene unannounced. Coordinate with them in advance, it works for a lot of people.

http://dronelife.com/2015/05/14/drone-fire-department-to-new-heights/

The hiker was lost and used her cell phone to call 911. As rescue teams hiked in on the ground, firefighters put their drone in the air and flew to what they believed was the hiker’s location.

On a 911 recording, a dispatcher could be heard telling the hiker “you’re going to hear a buzzing noise, like a bunch of bees.”

“I hear that and it’s to my right,” explained the distressed hiker, who helped dispatchers and first responders plot her location.

“We were above her within two to three minutes, where when they went in it took them about a half hour to hike in,” said Scott.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2015-06-27 07:28
    Are these incidents exclisively about remotely operated vehicles? I don't think I've ever seen an article about drones that was not US military.

Drone do as they are programmed. Human operators do stupid things and make mistakes.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2015-06-28 01:07
    Drone flying over Wimbledon is seized by police:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33298336
  • Yes, it would seem, drones are starting to require you to get your AMA, and a FAA cert if you are going to use it for business uses. If used for personal use, simply get your AMA and join a local flying club and you wont have any issue. I am an AMA member myself but only interested in airplanes. I found helis not as exciting.I do have one toy quad though, which is fun to fly. 
  • I recently 'discovered' quadcopters and now I'm hooked. Part of the problem is the insistence on calling them drones. Literal drones are a lot different.