Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ATRIAS Bipedal Robot — Parallax Forums

ATRIAS Bipedal Robot

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2015-06-10 04:29 in Robotics
A very cool bot with unusual parallelogram legs. LIKE, unless this means that Terminator/Judgement Day will originate from Oregon State instead of Boston Dynamics. Plenty of related videos.

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-06-05 13:05
    That is pretty spiffy! They keep throwing things at these robots.....I'm sure they have connections to "the cloud". Once something goes into the cloud, it can't be deleted. They will rule the day!!!

There is quite a collection of videos on this project. The obstacle course video is interesting in showing some step recovery movements. The dodge ball video has a hidden message on how to disable them.

Good find!
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2015-06-05 13:29
    But why is he tethered?
    edited 2015-06-05 14:00
    I think he's tethered so if he has a failure of something simple, he won't fall completely and suffer more severe damage just from the fall. For example, in the dodge ball video, they turn him off accidentally and he ends up hanging by his tether. It would be a shame to have serious damage caused just because he gets powered off.

A lot of the Boston Dynamic guys are tethered for some testing and untethered for other testing. Some times it appears to be power or telemetry but other times, it's just safety. The BD stuff is mostly mature enough now that it appears to run untethered outside of the lab.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-06-05 14:01
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    But why is he tethered?

They don't completely trust it to stay upright and I imagine it has a hard time staying upright when it's first powered on and when it's powered off.

Edit: Rick beat me to it.
    edited 2015-06-05 14:05
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    They don't completely trust it to stay upright and I imagine it has a hard time staying upright when it's first powered on and when it's powered off.

Edit: Rick beat me to it.

I think you're right....they don't completely trust it. In BD's case, when they are out in public, untethered isn't a concern in a target rich setting. In the lab, though, it's nothing but BD people if there is a "malfunction". ;)

EDIT: After I closed this, I just realized that erco is now off working in his lab on the single servo, BS1 brained, parallelogram legged, figure-8 racing robot while I'm making stupid comments....the old distracting thread trick!
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2015-06-10 03:13
    Interesting leg design, but I don't see how it has all the required degrees of freedom. Specifically how does it move side to side?
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2015-06-10 04:29
    Martin_H wrote: »
    Interesting leg design, but I don't see how it has all the required degrees of freedom. Specifically how does it move side to side?

It looks like the hip joints rotate around a point within the body of the robot.