Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TIG Perfect - Adds Pulse Functionality To Your TIG Welder - Built With Propeller! — Parallax Forums

TIG Perfect - Adds Pulse Functionality To Your TIG Welder - Built With Propeller!

MahonroyMahonroy Posts: 175
edited 2015-05-29 11:37 in Robotics
Hey guys,
First off I wanted to thank everyone for their help and answering all of my questions on these forums. I am a software engineer, and this is my first electronics project that I have completed - was definitely a good learning experience. I hope to do many more!

Now to my project:
TIG Perfect is a plug and play device for your TIG Welder. This device adds pulsing functionality to your under-equipped/less-expensive welder, at a fraction of the cost of buying a welder with these features built into it.
Here is how it works: the TIG welder uses a 0-10v signal for the pedal position... my device reads this signal as an input, and generates a new signal output based on this input and user settings. Some of my challenges that I had when developing this is that a TIG welder (or any welder really) emits a TON of interference. I had to design this device to be able to withstand this interference and not reset or become damaged from prolonged exposure. This involved creating various filters on the power supply rails, the addition of protective circuitry, and using more tolerant electrical components. Having solid grounds to the case was also very important to better shield the circuit.

Photos of the device:
http://www.Jattus.com/Dump2/tig_perfect_1.jpg
http://www.Jattus.com/Dump2/tig_perfect_2.jpg

Here are some photos of the circuit board for you to check out:
http://www.Jattus.com/Dump2/tig_perfect_board_1.jpg
http://www.Jattus.com/Dump2/tig_perfect_board_2.jpg

I also made a video to demonstrate how it works for youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtWwz9YVqho

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any questions about it, thanks!

Comments

• Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2015-05-23 09:30
    YES!!! More of these kinds of projects on this forum please. You should send a sample unit to "abom". He's a machinist with a popular channel on youtube.

Congrats on your product, it looks great!
  • PropGuy2PropGuy2 Posts: 360
    edited 2015-05-23 09:44
    Fantastic use of a Prop chip. I wish I had one of those when I was doing precision TIG welding circa 1985 with a WeldLogic machine. We typically welded o .002 to o.010" thick stainless steel for precision welded bellows used in aerospace & government projects. Additional items you may want to consider: Pre & post shield gas, backup gas, up & down slope amp ramping, start & stop actuator dry contact relay for machine / automatic welding. You are so right about weld arc interference. Very nice control box & circuit board design.
  • MahonroyMahonroy Posts: 175
    edited 2015-05-23 17:41
    Thanks! I'm glad you guys like my project. My next step with this is to make more TIG Perfect's available for a more variety of welders, and to try and see if I can get the manufacturing cost down. The screen is the most expensive component, it would be cool if I could find an option that is comparible, but maybe integrate more of the display driver circuitry onto my board to bring the cost down.
    YES!!! More of these kinds of projects on this forum please. You should send a sample unit to "abom". He's a machinist with a popular channel on youtube.

Congrats on your product, it looks great!
    I went ahead and sent him an e-mail, hopefully he gets back to me. Thanks!
    PropGuy2 wrote: »
    Fantastic use of a Prop chip. I wish I had one of those when I was doing precision TIG welding circa 1985 with a WeldLogic machine. We typically welded o .002 to o.010" thick stainless steel for precision welded bellows used in aerospace & government projects. Additional items you may want to consider: Pre & post shield gas, backup gas, up & down slope amp ramping, start & stop actuator dry contact relay for machine / automatic welding. You are so right about weld arc interference. Very nice control box & circuit board design.
    Are you still doing welding now? Just curious. One of the wave forms I programmed it to do is a triangle and sawtooth wave, so I think this is what you mean by up & down slope amp ramping maybe?
  • macrobeakmacrobeak Posts: 354
    edited 2015-05-24 18:37
    Congratulations Mahonroy. A very good practical project. I have a cheap TIG welder and I get frustrated with the roughness of its pedal control. This will enable me to get better welds.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2015-05-26 11:35
    ...well, that was refreshing to see a Parallax product used in such a different industry.

Good job. :thumb: Well engineered and nicely implemented!
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2015-05-26 16:12
    Very well done! This is an excellent use of a prop for a niche market that needs to be strategically tapped into. As for the display, that looks like a 4D Systems uOLED? If so, yes, they are not cheap and can throw off a product cost when the rest of the bill of materials isn't a large cost. Have you looked into the small color LCD displays that are around? What about this 1.8" LCD from Adafruit that's only $20: http://www.adafruit.com/products/358
    edited 2015-05-27 07:40
    Yep currently its the 4D systems screen. I was surprised that even in builk the price barely drops. I am getting one of those screens as we speak to play around with it, thanks!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-05-27 08:14
    Mahonroy wrote: »
    Yep currently its the 4D systems screen. I was surprised that even in builk the price barely drops. I am getting one of those screens as we speak to play around with it, thanks!

Great Product and use of the Propeller!

I would modify your youTube video as to "all USA" parts as the 4D is made in Australia, but can be bought in the US through Parallax and other US distributors.
    edited 2015-05-29 06:03
    Are you still doing welding now? Just curious. One of the wave forms I programmed it to do is a triangle and sawtooth wave, so I think this is what you mean by up & down slope amp ramping maybe?[/QUOTE]

The up and down slope is used to ramp up the amperage after a arc start sequence is finished. The arc is started at a very low amperage (1 amp) then gradually ramped up to your weld amperage (maybe 10 amps, whatever) over say, 5 seconds. At the end of your weld, the amperage is ramped down from 10 amps (for instance) down to 1 or 2 amps. This is used to control the HAZ Heat Affected Zone of your weld so the crystalline structure of the steel is modified so as to prevent stress cracks at the start and finish of a weld.

I do not do the precision welding anymore but would be happy to talk to you about precision machine welding and metallurgical stuff. Your Prop circuit is a major accomplishment and adding these features should be an easy one, and one that potential customers would look for. PM me if you are interested.
    edited 2015-05-29 08:13
    PropGuy2 wrote: »
    Are you still doing welding now? Just curious. One of the wave forms I programmed it to do is a triangle and sawtooth wave, so I think this is what you mean by up & down slope amp ramping maybe?

The up and down slope is used to ramp up the amperage after a arc start sequence is finished. The arc is started at a very low amperage (1 amp) then gradually ramped up to your weld amperage (maybe 10 amps, whatever) over say, 5 seconds. At the end of your weld, the amperage is ramped down from 10 amps (for instance) down to 1 or 2 amps. This is used to control the HAZ Heat Affected Zone of your weld so the crystalline structure of the steel is modified so as to prevent stress cracks at the start and finish of a weld.

I do not do the precision welding anymore but would be happy to talk to you about precision machine welding and metallurgical stuff. Your Prop circuit is a major accomplishment and adding these features should be an easy one, and one that potential customers would look for. PM me if you are interested.

I really like the idea of adding an option especially for ramping down the amperage when finished welding. I'm currently trying to figure out a way that I can add more options to the screen and still have the wave form graph visible. I need a larger screen!! haha
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-05-29 08:34
    Those color OLED screens from 4D Systems look great but they're sure expensive. I've also managed to kill one (I thought much too easily).

If you can live without color, these little OLED displays from Itead Studio work great and cost $5.

attachment.php?attachmentid=108626&d=1399775726

Here's video showing the display in use.

Since I was so short on RAM in my CNC project, I have the Propeller reading both the graphics and the fonts from the SD card. The little beanie bouncing around on the display is being read in from the SD card each time it changes position. The ROM font is the only only font used not on the SD card.

They don't look as nice as the color OLED display but for $5 each you could use several on the front panel.

BTW, Fantastic project! The TIG Perfect looks great! I'm very impressed. I also liked your video and I rarely like product videos.
    edited 2015-05-29 11:37
    Mahonroy wrote: »
    I really like the idea of adding an option especially for ramping down the amperage when finished welding. I'm currently trying to figure out a way that I can add more options to the screen and still have the wave form graph visible. I need a larger screen!! haha
    I do not know how many I/O you have used, but consider using a VGA monitor. The VGA I am using, uses one cog, a mouse & keyboard can be added also. The graphics are minimal, but you can put a lot of text on the screen, and edit it with a mouse & keyboard. Usually for automated machine welding, you are doing the same weld setup & schedule for some product for a whole shift. I have a lot of these software libraries, as I suspect others do also. PM me if you want further details.