Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running an Arlo robot outside — Parallax Forums

Running an Arlo robot outside

jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
edited 2015-05-23 18:47 in Robotics
How well does the Arlo robot platform run outside on concrete or asphalt?

thanks

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-05-22 19:33
    I don't think it would have a problem.

I plan to use my robot with Arlo hardware outside sometime. The main reason I haven't is because I didn't want to get the wheels dirty.

I'm not using the Arlo base but the distance between the wheels on my robot is the same as the Arlo. I don't think the Arlo's wheels or casters would have any trouble with concrete or asphalt.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-05-22 20:05
    One concern I had with the Arlo design was how little ground clearance there was when the battery tray was added to the bottom of the robot.

I was hoping to leave the bottom side of my robot open in order to increase the ground clearance.

When I first built my robot, I used used a couple of bolts to hold the platform to the motor/wheel mounts.

Cleaver141121c.jpg

As I added addition hardware, the robot kind sagged in the middle.

I added some aluminum "L" beams in an attempt to reduce the sag.

attachment.php?attachmentid=114276&d=1432349908

attachment.php?attachmentid=114275&d=1432349908

I'm not thrilled with the results. I used material I had on hand but I think some lower profile hardware would be a good idea. The nylon bolts I had available kind of stick out too much. I also think the dimensions of the support pieces could be improved.

I think something similar to what I did (but done well) could improve the ground clearance of the Arlo. Though really, if you're going to use the Arlo on flat ground, the battery tray shouldn't be a problem.

I should point out, I'm using 6mm foam PVC (aka expanded PVC). I think the HDPE used in the Arlo is more rigid than the material I'm using. I had the foamed PVC on hand (It's generally great stuff for robots). I learned about foamed PVC here on the forum from Gordon McComb.
    832 x 474 - 145K
    843 x 593 - 236K
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2015-05-23 18:47
    Thanks
    Nice pic Duane