Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PCB Edge-to-Edge Connectors? (Looking for Recommendations) — Parallax Forums

PCB Edge-to-Edge Connectors? (Looking for Recommendations)

JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,015
edited 2015-05-27 03:44 in General Discussion
I'm putting together a PCB for a friend taht he'd like to stack edge-to-edge. Any recommendations on a connector set? The buss through the boards is four pins.

Comments

• WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2015-05-21 09:23
    Does the interconnect need to serve any mechanical strength purpose or just buss connections? I have used many SMT variations, but mechanical strength can be weak if the boards are subjected to vertical torque. Bend the boards upwards into a V and the connectors can be ripped off easier than you would think. If that is not an issue, than standard right angle headers and receptacles do the trick nicely.

For mechanical strength, Molex KK 254 system connectors with friction locks work well. Check out these two TH parts: Molex 22-15-2046 & 22-05-3041

Here's a non-mechanical strength example using Samtec SMT headers and receptacles. To use 4 pin of the same, Samtec part numbers would be: MMS-104-02-L-SH & MMT-104-02-T-SH

attachment.php?attachmentid=114259&d=1432224557
    1024 x 643 - 159K
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,015
    edited 2015-05-21 09:33
    Thanks, Andrew. My friend is not using SMDs so everything will be T/H -- I'll have a look at your suggestions.
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2015-05-21 10:28
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/923345-03-C/923345-03-ND/12169

When I was exploring this, I preferred soldered connections for less connection issues(Especially on Neopixel boards stacked edge to edge). Jumper wires come in all different lengths. A bag of 200 is 20.00. That is $.1 per jumper.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,015
    edited 2015-05-21 11:02
    T Chap wrote: »
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/923345-03-C/923345-03-ND/12169

When I was exploring this, I preferred soldered connections for less connection issues(Especially on Neopixel boards stacked edge to edge). Jumper wires come in all different lengths. A bag of 200 is 20.00. That is $.1 per jumper.

This is about modularity and serviceability -- soldered connections are not an option.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-05-22 20:37
    I've love to find a good solution for edge to edge connectors.

Here are a few things I've tried.

Here are my little WS2812B boards with normal headers and jumpers used to link the boards together.

attachment.php?attachmentid=111440&d=1413235351

One difference my boards had was a slightly curved board edge. The curved edge made boards fit together better than the small WS2812B boards Parallax sold.

Here's the thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/149822

I also used more conventional connections with my LED array boards.

attachment.php?attachmentid=101499&d=1368046217

attachment.php?attachmentid=101498&d=1368046217

In order to take advantage of the 5cm x 5cm prices of the cheap fab houses, I placed the header holes pretty close to the edge of the board.

Here's the thread on this project: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/143775

I thought the boards stayed together reasonably well even though the physical PCBs didn't meet.

The 8x8 array by SimplyTronics uses a six pin connector even though only three pins are needed.

32324b.png?itok=2UqCmd2V

The double row of pins makes the connection between boards much more rigid than using a single row of pins. Depending on the specifics of the application, an eight pin connection may work better than a four pin connection.

My latest 8x8 LED array PCBs use a double row of headers and I like how the boards connect together with two rows of pins much more than the way the boards had connected with a single row of pins.
  • abecedarianabecedarian Posts: 312
    edited 2015-05-22 21:46
    I've seen people put solder pads on both sides of the board then use a 2 x male / female pair soldered to the top and bottom of adjacent boards to connect them.
    Top and bottom side of board:
     {pin-M}  |  {F-pin}
    A ------> | >------ A
    B ------> | >------ B
    C ------> | >------ C
    D ------> | >------ D

From the side it's like:
    TOP          +-----------------+
             pin | male  >  female | pin
    PCB ======== | --------------- | ======== PCB
             pin | male  >  female | pin
    BOTTOM       +-----------------+
                         ^------- Mated Connectors

I've also seen people do simple ribbon cable things on one side if they need flex between boards.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,982
    edited 2015-05-23 18:26
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    I'm putting together a PCB for a friend taht he'd like to stack edge-to-edge. Any recommendations on a connector set? The buss through the boards is four pins.

Jon,

How are the modules being mounted? By stacked end to end, do you mean laid out in a flat array or stacked like poker chips?

If doing a flat array, here is an idea. Try a small soft ridge of material about the thickness of a rubber band under the edges.Then assuming double sided boards, put etched contacts on the bottom edges. Glue/screw or otherwise anchor short length of flex PCB with the same trace count as pins. Mount them so that the bare ends match up with the boards. Securing the boards over the flex should get you a good interconnect. Not an original method, seagate and others use this in hdds, and various CT OEMs use this method to connect detector arrays to their backplane. As to maintainability, just need a screw driver. Unscrew the defective board and replace. If snap anchored, don't even need that.

Just an idea fer ya,

FF
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2015-05-24 05:58
    Jon

I have at least found a photo of the solution, but I still have not found a source. Here is a lead link: http://www.isplc2006.org/b2b/crude_oil/1/pcb_connector_28.html

attachment.php?attachmentid=114293&d=1432472226
    491 x 183 - 25K
    edited 2015-05-24 08:13
    idbruce wrote: »
    I have at least found a photo of the solution, but I still have not found a source.

Bruce, these are often called "right angle headers." Most electronics distributors carry a variety of these. Here's SparkFun's selection:

https://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=right+angle+header

The SparkFun prices are a bit high compared to what you'll find elsewhere.

Here's some from Adafruit:

http://www.adafruit.com/search?q=right+angle+header&b=1

Digikey and Mouser's list of right angle headers will likely be huge. You can also search for these on ebay and Aliexpress but the quality might not be great.

If the distance between PCBs is important (as it was with my LED array project), then you'll want to make sure and have the physical connectors in hand when designing the board. The appropriate spacing between the holes will vary among models of headers. The spacing between the two sets of holes may not be 0.1' aligned.

I've appreciated seeing all the solutions people have offered. Lots of good ideas.
    edited 2015-05-24 12:43
    Duane
    Bruce, these are often called "right angle headers."

SparkFun's images are not showing up, so I cannot verify.

I have seen listings of right angle headers like this attachment.php?attachmentid=114295&d=1432496305
    but I have not seen listings for female headers like this attachment.php?attachmentid=114296&d=1432496315

That 36 pin female strip at Adafruit is the only other that I have seen.

At first it looked as the Andrew's photo was using surface mount, but it now appears they may be TH.
    113 x 87 - 4K
    140 x 108 - 5K
    edited 2015-05-24 13:16
    Here's a female right angle header from SparkFun.

09429-1.jpg

The two purple square PCBs in post #7 are joined with a set of right angle headers. You can order male and female right angle headers from Digi-Key in just about any length. If you need help finding a part # let me know. I'll try to find an example and add a link to this post.

Here's a 6 position right angle female header at Digi-Key:
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PPPC061LGBN-RC/S5481-ND/775939

Here's a 16-position version.
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PPPC161LGBN-RC/S5491-ND/775949

They have a huge variety of right angle female headers.
    edited 2015-05-25 00:15
    Duane

For some odd reason, SparkFun's JPGs are not showing.... hmmmm

Anyhow, thanks fopr the digikey link, because I could not find them at mouser.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2015-05-25 00:56
    I have a small stock of the longer ones and cut them to size when I need something smaller. I pull out the contact, cut the plastic with a razor saw and clean it up with a craft knife.
    edited 2015-05-25 08:00
    Leon

I suppose that would be a good route to go, especially if you occassionally use them. As it pertains to Jon's question, and my suggestion, I withdraw my suggestion of the combo male/female headers, because personally, I do not like the idea of several pins overhanging the edge. I would be more inclined to think that a right angle female header on each board would be a better answer, using a straight male header to connect the boards, providing the pins are long enough to make contact. Although the plastic strip may have to be manipulated a little.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,982
    edited 2015-05-25 11:30
    Reading the initial posts regarding the problem leaves me one further question. The bus through the boards, Is it a common bus to all consisting of power/ground and something like tx/rx, can, or i2C? If so, another alternative could be a harness that would connect below the array of boards. This still gives maintainability if the module uses a single screw or snap mount that affects no other boards while providing no obstructions on the surface of the boards. Lot of discussion on pins etc, but if these boards are in a fairly tight 2D array, you would have to take a whole row/column apart up to the failed module. To replace the tenth module in a 128 or 256 or more element row would kill the maintainability of the system.