Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where to buy water clear silicone sealant, which won't cost arm and leg? — Parallax Forums

Where to buy water clear silicone sealant, which won't cost arm and leg?

CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
edited 2015-05-04 12:31 in General Discussion
Hello.

I need a water clear silicone sealant to cover leds in certain application.

So far, found two choices:

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-5620-Silicone-Sealant-Cartridge/dp/B004RIDII2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430630432&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+5620

$100 per 400ml cartridge.

http://www.amazon.com/C-R-LAURENCE-Water-Silicone-Sealant/dp/B006JFM7HY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430627347&sr=8-1&keywords=water+clear+silicone+sealant

$35 per 310ml cartridge.

Both are way too expensive.

Any idea where to get cheap, water clear silicone sealant?

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-05-02 23:26
    Well, in the USA there is Thomas Catalog of industrial suppliers -- but they usually are offering low cost for higher volume purchases.

http://www.thomasnet.com/

You might find that the high cost is justified by packaging, promotion, and advertising. Just buying larger caulking gun tubes of clear silicon from a building supply may be adequate.

The general trend in price of paint, glue, and sealents is that there is a optimal price at a larger quantity and these tiny quantities have penalty pricing due to more packaging, promotion, and distribution costs. They also may have a big jump in profit margin to encourage retailers to stock them.

Just buying the branded product can add a huge cost. The reality is most of the silicon sealant is sold in bulk from a few chemical factories that allow the packagers to brand and promote as they wish. Look for generic, cheapo product in a local paint store that sells to professional painters or a local glass shop.

EBay seems to always be cheaper than Amazon, and a good indicator of what is available.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/clear-silicone-sealant
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2015-05-02 23:50
    Thanks.

Unfortunately, "clear" is not same as "water clear". The "clear" one dries semi-transparent, watery milk color, while "water clear" remains clear like water :)
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2015-05-03 00:17
    Try Loctite Polyseamseal in crystal clear. After about two days full cure the stuff disappears. I have it around my kitchen sink and it basically makes it look like it isn't caulked at all so no volume variations to be seen. Follow the directions carefully and you will be happy. Available at Home Depot.
    edited 2015-05-03 00:37
    Thanks, will give it a try.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-05-03 11:34
    I don't know the specific properties you're looking for other than being water clear, but such stuff is fairly common for higher end aquariums. I think I'd look there first, including the aquarium forums, where you might get hands-on recommendations. Though I think you're going to find it's all more expensive than regular sealant. Fish folks don't mind spending money on their passion.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-05-03 11:46
    You also want to make sure the stuff is electronics friendly. IIRC if it smells like vinegar it's not safe to use with electronics. I'm not sure I'm remembering that correctly though.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2015-05-03 12:35
    Try Loctite Polyseamseal in crystal clear. After about two days full cure the stuff disappears. I have it around my kitchen sink and it basically makes it look like it isn't caulked at all so no volume variations to be seen. Follow the directions carefully and you will be happy. Available at Home Depot.

Andrew, some reviewers on Home Depot's site said it turned yellow when used outside - probably not an issue indoors -
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-Polyseamseal-10-fl-oz-Clear-All-Purpose-Adhesive-Sealant-1675279/202699069#customer_reviews
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-05-03 13:20
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    You also want to make sure the stuff is electronics friendly. IIRC if it smells like vinegar it's not safe to use with electronics. I'm not sure I'm remembering that correctly though.

Your memory is good.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2015-05-03 14:15
    Does it have to be silicone? Here is some clear casting epoxy for under $15.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/mold_making_materials/casting_products/easycast_clear_casting_epoxy/386
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2015-05-03 15:50
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    ... if it smells like vinegar it's not safe to use with electronics....

Glad you said something. I was about 16 hours from potting some expensive diodes and capacitors in RTV. Now I'll be sure to use Dow 737 or GE II.

Doing a little reading, apparently it's not just the potential reaction between acetic acid and Cu or Ni that would have been a problem. There is also the fact that acid-cure RTV doesn't stick to acrylic well. This is useful to know because the capacitors and diodes were to be mounted on a Plexiglas panel.
    edited 2015-05-04 02:15
    Andrew, some reviewers on Home Depot's site said it turned yellow when used outside - probably not an issue indoors -
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-Polyseamseal-10-fl-oz-Clear-All-Purpose-Adhesive-Sealant-1675279/202699069#customer_reviews

Way back in the 1970s, I was studying architecture and helping to build an all plastic geodisc dome. A debate evolved about the best way to construct seams that would be perfectly clear and a letter was sent to 3M asking what to do.

Their reply was rather matter-of-fact. All plastics will yellow when expose to UV light over long periods of time.

Transparency and material aging is a huge challenge -- glass discolors with age, so does plastic. Water clear silicon may be purer or better enhanced, but ultimately I suspect nothing is perfect.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-05-04 02:25
    CuriousOne,

So the question is what is the "certain application".

Plastics and outdoors don't get on well together. A major problem is UV from the sun which tends to fade, discolour, cloud most plastics (and most other things as far as I can tell). My Citroen BX19 GTi was a bright red when new, after 5 years or so the plastic bonnet (hood for yankies) had faded to a very pale pink.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2015-05-04 03:07
    That goes for most red paints.
    A 10 year old car with red paintjob that hasn't been parked in a garage when not in use will have a horribly faded paint almost no matter what you do.
    (New paints are better, but it still fades faster than other colours)
    The 'plum red' paintjob on my 16 year old Berlingo, though, is still fine...

Can't remember that my Citro
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-05-04 03:44
    Car paints seem to be pretty good. My BX19 GTi experience was 20 years ago and the red paint on the metal body work lasted just fine. Just that pale pink plastic bonnet was a bit embarrassing.
    edited 2015-05-04 07:33
    I suppose in an LED display, the bulk of the exposure to light will derive from the LEDs themselves and not ambient light. And that may not have as big an UV component to cause yellowing.

I tend to lean more towards a water clear epoxy than a silicon. It may be easier to purchase is small quatities at a reasonable cost and may have a longer history to verify how to use it. Not all epoxy is rock hard, some can actually be much softer, almost rubber like.

Bright sunlight and plastics?
    Certainly a problem. Here in the sub-tropics we have thousands of plastic motor scooters on the roads, and some of them actually display a special kind of sun rot, where they begin to crumble after years of being parked in bright sunlight on the street.

I am still wondering if carbon fiber will stand up better than most. Carbon black is a preferred stabilier of plastic.

++++++

In the USA, a red car is not a good choice for men. The police stop red cars more often as they expect the drivers to be a bit more reckless. But the police will generally be more tolerant with a women in a red car. One suspects that it gets all a bit flirtatious.
    edited 2015-05-04 08:01
    http://www.smooth-on.com/Castable-Epoxy-Res/c1295_1377/index.html?catdepth=1

A quarter gallon clear expoxy, good enough for lenses... $34.42USD.

The thing is that you buy in bulk and being A and B components, it has a much longer shelf life onces used partially. Silicon caulk may actually produce a lot more waste as all of it begins to set once opened.
    edited 2015-05-04 08:55
    I have gone thru various "clear" silicones. None of them are TRANSPARENT, they are all clear - clear as water diluted milk, for example, but not clear as water is. I've contacted a factory, which makes such silicone for led potting, and their price was $900 per 45kg pack or something like this.

If anyone wants coating for PCB and electronics components, I suggest to use 1B73 from Humiseal - does it's job fine, and even can be re-soldered later (it melts from heat and then covers things again.

I've tested various silicone sealants for direct sunlight exposure, I've taken the opaque white, "clear" one, black one and "high temperature" red one. Applied them to roof and left for one year under direct sunlight. Opaque white shrunk, cracked and almost all went away as dust. Clear was totally wiped out by wind, black developed some holes and rough surface, red was looking just like it had been applied yesterday.

My application is humidity sealing while being non-visible, such as making non-waterproof led strip waterproof (I know clear heat shrink tube trick - I don't like it) and so on. None of them will be exposed to direct sunlight or whatsoever.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-05-04 09:39
    Instead of goo from a tube, you might consider an aerosol conformal coating product, such as Konform SR.

-Phil
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2015-05-04 11:09
    NWCCTV wrote: »

If acetic acid is a problem, skip the DAP aquatic silicone - it carries a warning "Acetic acid is evolved when product cures..."
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,978
    edited 2015-05-04 12:31
    Quality silicone is not cheap. Have a look at www.smooth-on.com -- they have an excellent selection of products.