Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robot Skids/Poor Man's Casters — Parallax Forums

Robot Skids/Poor Man's Casters

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2015-04-19 09:41 in Robotics
Caster-hatin', robot-buildin', rudder-lovin' Tommy Tailspin need not apply! I just ordered 100 of these hemispherical buttons to use as front/rear skids/gliders on tiny bots when there's no room for a caster wheel. No more glass marbles & superglue for this hombre. I'm hoping that little loop on the back (thread hole) might just press into a hole of the proper size. ~$4/100 pcs, stocking up for summer camps.

Dia= 15mm ~ 0.59" http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipping-100x-New-hemisphere-Round-Glossy-Plastic-the-Sewing-button-/111478857658

$_1.JPG

Comments

• TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2015-04-19 08:48
    Something about using these as 'Skids' instead of actual Casters for small Bots, makes it OK.. I guess...

These things are slippery!
    I have made a portable out-feed table from a similar set of buttons, that i can set up behind different power tools..
    It's a 5 X 10 grid of the little buttons, With the "thread hole" pushed thru an 1/8 inch piece of plywood, and clamped to a height adjustable stand.
    To mount the buttons, After drilling all the holes,(think it was 3/8"), push the button 'thread hole' into the plywood, and then snip the thread hole ring in half,
    heat it up and bend the tabs out like a "paper rivet"... Works a treat!.

Using the words "Poor Man" and "Caster" in the same sentence, and I need not reply... Yah, that's gonna happen... :)

-Tommy
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2015-04-19 09:41
    First responder! That's reverse psychology in action. Good to hear they get a thumbs up from an experienced builder.