Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ESC Beep Troubleshooting Guide — Parallax Forums

ESC Beep Troubleshooting Guide

tkatertkater Posts: 2
edited 2015-04-18 10:55 in Robotics
I almost have my ELEV-8 v2 ready to fly, but I found out I'm not as tech savvy as I originally thought.

I have individually plugged each ESC/motor into the throttle channel of the receiver and successfully ran them. Now that I have plugged the ESCs and the receiver outputs into the hoverfly board I need to sync the ESCs. I put the transmitter on full throttle, the ESCs beeped twice, throttled all the way down, and then instead of a long beep, the ESCs beeped three times, paused, beeped once, and then the flight controller beeped twice.

Additional Info:
- I flashed the flight controller with version 2.0 of the software.
- I have never used a 'fancy' transmitter before - so the problem could easily lie there.
- I have a FlySky FS-T6 transmitter - I wasn't sure if the switch for the 5th channel should be on or off, so I tried it both ways.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-04-16 16:34
    According to the version 1 assembly guide, this is normal.

https://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/80000-ELEV-8-Quadcopter-Info-Assembly-Guide-v1.1_0.pdf

Page 18
    10. To synchronize your ESCs, power on the ELEV-8 quadcopter. Turn on your transmitter, then set Throttle to max position. After the standard
    startup sequence, two separate beeps will indicate the max throttle position has been set and stored. Lower throttle to min position. You will
    hear three beeps, which indicate that min throttle position has been set and stored.

The version 1 and 2 Hoverfly board are the same and run the same firmware.

What color is the LED on the Hoverfly board after the startup sequence?
    edited 2015-04-16 16:46
    The version 2 manual says differently:
    Move the throttle stick all the way up to maximum throttle and leave it there.
    Connect your battery to the Power Breakout Cable to supply power to the ELEV-8.
    You will hear two beeps. Immediately after the beeps, move the throttle all the way down. You should hear one more long beep, confirming the ESCs have been synchronized correctly.

They are the same controller board, and should respond the same.

I never got my version 2 to this stage, as I had an ESC smoke on first power up. I have been waiting for the snow to go away before finishing it up. I'll have both running this weekend if you want to compare notes.

BTW, Welcome to the forums!

Jim
    edited 2015-04-17 11:47
    Almost finished my Elev-8 Ver 2 rebuild. Should be on the air on Saturday.

Make sure you have did a good Bind between the transmitter and receiver.
    edited 2015-04-17 15:46
    Here's a video I did today of the startup sequence.

I have a Spectrum DX6, and I have my Gain on channel 5. If I turn on my transmitter, it complains "Gear Switch Position Zero". This is to remind me that the Gain is in the correct position, but I have to turn that switch off, then on for the Transmitter to begin transmitting. This procedure was not show in the video.
  • tkatertkater Posts: 2
    edited 2015-04-18 10:27
    Whoohoo! I got it up off the ground yesterday. It turns out the ESCs had synced properly. I also had to reverse channels 2&3 of my transmitter which is why I had trouble arming it.

Thanks for the help!
    edited 2015-04-18 10:55
    Great News!

Now a video of your flights. :)

Jim