Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to build this cubed robot. — Parallax Forums

How to build this cubed robot.

Zap-oZap-o Posts: 452
edited 2015-04-17 20:56 in Robotics
Id like to build a cube like robot that has motor movements inside the cube. There are several on the internet like the Cubil (*1) and this one form MIT(*2). Before I finish the circuit board I would like to ask the forum a few questions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=113913&d=1429197044

1. Would a stepper motor be a better choice or a dc motor? Stepper motor may allow for precision for ballancing but might lack the power needed to propel the robot.
2. How much mass would be needed (again motor selection could be a factor) M=FA where A = motors sped capabilities, to move a robot of 2 pounds.

Please comment and offer suggestions.

(*1) - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...91071109,d.cGU

(*2) - https://youtu.be/6aZbJS6LZbs
272 x 185 - 6K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2015-04-16 17:57
    1) DC motor, maybe brushless. The required RPM is way too fast for a stepper motor.
    2) In general, you want a huge friggin' flywheel and minimize the weight and moment of inertia of everything else.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-04-16 18:29
    Yup, DC *servo* motor. Not R/C servo, but a true servo motor with a decent optical encoder, or brushless with an appropriate controller.

Stepper motors have low torque at high speed (they tend to "skip" steps if under too much load and are running at the top of their rpm), which is a bad combination for a robot design like this.

From one of the sideview shots, it looks like they might be using DC fans for the motors, some of which are brushless, which they specify. Mount a flywheel to it (they mention it), and there's your angular mover in a nice almost-off-the-shelf package. Very clever in any case.
  • Zap-oZap-o Posts: 452
    edited 2015-04-16 19:20
    GordonMcComb

You mention some details that I was unable to discover would you be so kind and provide a link. Thanks.
    edited 2015-04-16 22:32
    The YouTube video. Watch the guy with the beard.
    edited 2015-04-17 07:50
    I cant find any information on a DC SERVO motor other than servos. I also am inclined to think that a stepper motor would be a better choice, most come with optical feedback. Its max torque at almost no RPMs would allowing a large mass to begin movement much quicker than a DC brushless motor - that may not even move the mass from stall.
    edited 2015-04-17 09:00
    Continuing on with this project I was wondering about the Real time clock circuit. Does the diode work well in this case D3 when VDD is shut off? J9 will be a button cell rechargeable battery.

attachment.php?attachmentid=113926&d=1429286410

clock.png
    769 x 432 - 221K
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-04-17 09:39

Brushless DC motors according to this video. Here is another good instructional video about these kinds of motors...

Cool post Zap-o. Looks really complex though!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2015-04-17 10:37
    Watch the guy with the beard.

Agreed. Anybody with a beard needs watchin'.

Wait, that may include nearly half of us. Gordon, Whit, me... do I need to start a poll?

And if we tweak the qualifier to "the guy with the beer", the number of suspects grows.

Sorry for derailing. We now resume our regularly scheduled discussion on jumping cubes.
    edited 2015-04-17 11:31
    Zap-o wrote: »
    I cant find any information on a DC SERVO motor other than servos. I also am inclined to think that a stepper motor would be a better choice, most come with optical feedback. Its max torque at almost no RPMs would allowing a large mass to begin movement much quicker than a DC brushless motor - that may not even move the mass from stall.

Most steppers do not come with optical feedback. You almost always have to add that. The majority of stepper designs rely on a known load, which is not the case with these cube robots because of gyroscopic forces. When a stepper is used in an application of uneven load, it may tend to skip steps, and then you need optical feedback.

What's more, most steppers are extremely slow for their weight, being designed to operate primarily in the 0-300 pulses per second range. A 1.8 degree stepper requires 200 to pulses to rotate once. That's a very slow motor. Unless the flywheel is very large and heavy (counter productive for a robot), not much angular momentum can be developed at 60-120 rpm. Try 5,000 to 30,000.

Consider: The cube design in the video relies on a certain angular momentum to break the current position, and move to a new one. The motors are likely always spinning, but change speed (e.g. sudden brake) to make the positional change.

A servomotor (as opposed to an RC servo) is simply any motor with feedback, and it's a common motor used in industry. Can't imagine why you're not finding info on them. There are relatively small pancake motors that have so much torque they'll rip your fingers off -- I know, this almost happened when I was working on a piece of equipment powered by a 4" pancake. Because they use feedback, their controllers apply whatever current is required.

Brushless DC motors work in much the same way as steppers (but always have feedback), But they are designed for higher rpm's, and less so for the stop-and-go common in the majority of stepper applications. Unlike steppers, which often use very large metal frames with weights to match, a brushless DC motor can be constructed to be very lightweight. The size (and weight) of the flywheel, and a little bit of Newtonian physics, takes care of the rest.
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2015-04-17 16:25
    For balance, one sitting close to a balance point, a stepper would probably work. That said, I'm betting that part of the balance of this bot is from gyroscopic effects from the spinning flywheels, which would stabilize the bot somewhat passively. I agree that a stepper is not the job for this.

J
    edited 2015-04-17 20:56
    GordonMcComb thank you for opening my eyes to this type of motor. Now my issue is finding one small enough. Any links?