Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$11,000 fine for flying drone in 5 mile radius - Louisville Thunder Derby event — Parallax Forums

$11,000 fine for flying drone in 5 mile radius - Louisville Thunder Derby event

Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
edited 2015-04-14 11:28 in Robotics
Ouch! Steep fine...

An annual Kentucky Derby event takes place on Saturday April 18 in Louisville.
An Air Show with the U.S.A.F. Thunderbirds and the nation’s largest annual fireworks event over the Ohio River are part of the event and drones could really be a danger to low flying planes!

http://www.wlky.com/news/Thunder-Over-Louisville-prohibited-items/32359854
No drones:
The FAA has established a no-fly zone around the Thunder venue.
Unmanned aircraft, such as drones, will not be allowed within 5 miles.
Any drones on site could shut down the air show.
Violators face confiscation and up to an $11,000 fine.
This will be strictly enforced.

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-04-14 10:58
    In this case, I think it should be higher! ($100,000)

I personally would rather upset a few drone pilots (especially the type that might present a risk with their ill-conceived plan to get some really cool video) rather than lose an expensive F16 and potentially a highly trained Air Force pilot or any other air show pilot for that matter.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2015-04-14 11:14
    mindrobots wrote: »
    In this case, I think it should be higher! ($100,000)

I personally would rather upset a few drone pilots (especially the type that might present a risk with their ill-conceived plan to get some really cool video) rather than lose an expensive F16 and potentially a highly trained Air Force pilot or any other air show pilot for that matter.

Yeah - plus there will probably be about 400,000 people watching along the shore line. If a plane goes down it could be a major tragedy.

It was really neat when the B1B Stealth Bomber would make a low pass down the river (years ago) and then shoot almost straight up into the sky! The ground shook...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=60&v=B0__Oeigjhw

EDIT: Drones (and selfie-sticks) are also now banned from Churchill Downs.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-04-14 11:28
    But dude, if we're down by the river, we can just pop up the drone in front of some of those planes and get some really awesome fly-by You Tube videos. They'll go viral for sure!!
    "Thunderbird leader, clear to go in 'hot' on first pass."
    "Roger"

Let's make it "sporting"!! :D