Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Powering a BS1-IC IC device — Parallax Forums

Powering a BS1-IC IC device

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,184
edited 2015-05-26 18:33 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
Silly question me time again.

I know that when standing on a carrier board such as the fellow (slowly being) now discontinued by the firm, the thing needs to be powered by a classic 9V battery snapped onto its connectors to the left of the stamp.

But what happens if the device will be connected to external circuitry who will be powered by 5V? Can the stamp be powered from the same supply? And that's instead of the classic 9V battery snapped in place.

There's a tip who mentions the voltages for the family. That's for the BS1 and the BS2 it is looking for 6 to 12 volts. And the bigger guys amongst the BS2 family want 6 to 7.5 volts.

I'm asking because on Friday I bought a four pack of 9V batteries from those amphibians at Radio Shack, and it turns out that two of them worked in my smoke detector (where it's staying) and the other works in my CO detector (Where it's also staying as well). But the other two seem to not want to work in the power via connector position for the BS1 Carrier board.

I thought in my rather fast efforts to revive an idea I had for connecting the stamp to a breadboard via the carrier, I might have damaged it, so I ended up trying them on a PDB I have here, and of course the Stamp and its programmer widget do work.

In fact that was my efforts on Friday evening and Saturday morning......

I will also accept any good ideas without complaint or strange responses also.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2015-03-29 07:53
    All Stamps can be powered by an external 5V source applied to the Vdd pin (pin 5 on a BS1-IC), which is the output from the onboard voltage regulator. Higher voltages connect to the regulator input using the Vin pin (pin 1 on BS1-IC).

See also http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/160295-Problem-with-BS1-carrier-board-....?highlight=carrier which may indicate a batch of boards with reversed battery connections. OP/Parallax never followed up with a definitive answer.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,184
    edited 2015-03-29 11:48
    erco wrote: »
    All Stamps can be powered by an external 5V source applied to the Vdd pin (pin 5 on a BS1-IC), which is the output from the onboard voltage regulator. Higher voltages connect to the regulator input using the Vin pin (pin 1 on BS1-IC).

See also http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/160295-Problem-with-BS1-carrier-board-....?highlight=carrier which may indicate a batch of boards with reversed battery connections. OP/Parallax never followed up with a definitive answer.

Hello!
    I did read it and comment of course it will be interesting to see if there's a response from either. I actually expected Mike Green to answer first on my issue first, but since he's either busy or decided to let you do so, it makes sense. Sort of.

I've come up with a few further tests. Connecting the battery in the normal fashion didn't work. Also connecting the stamp and the widget on that PDB did work. I'm assembling a harness to which I'll be able to feed the power in via the Vin and VSS pins for the stamp, ideally if that does work as I suspect it does then something else is going on. I suspect however that the problems are with the programming pins not with the power points. In which case I believe I can talk to the stamp from the ones in front.

This was confirmed earlier when I tried connecting the power to the stamp from the connectors, and grounded the appropriate pin, and stuck the widget there. The program didn't see it. At first I found that I had the Vin line connected, not the VSS one, and the power supply and the externally connected RFID device woke up. Then switching the wire to the VSS one, the problems were clearly seen.

I strongly suspect erco that the problems are with the programming connections, not the power ones.

In all likelyhood this will be reported to Parallax on the morrow.
    edited 2015-05-10 21:14
    Hello!
    I did read it and comment of course it will be interesting to see if there's a response from either. I actually expected Mike Green to answer first on my issue first, but since he's either busy or decided to let you do so, it makes sense. Sort of.

I've come up with a few further tests. Connecting the battery in the normal fashion didn't work. Also connecting the stamp and the widget on that PDB did work. I'm assembling a harness to which I'll be able to feed the power in via the Vin and VSS pins for the stamp, ideally if that does work as I suspect it does then something else is going on. I suspect however that the problems are with the programming pins not with the power points. In which case I believe I can talk to the stamp from the ones in front.

This was confirmed earlier when I tried connecting the power to the stamp from the connectors, and grounded the appropriate pin, and stuck the widget there. The program didn't see it. At first I found that I had the Vin line connected, not the VSS one, and the power supply and the externally connected RFID device woke up. Then switching the wire to the VSS one, the problems were clearly seen.

I strongly suspect erco that the problems are with the programming connections, not the power ones.

In all likelyhood this will be reported to Parallax on the morrow.

It seems erco that the problem was with its snaps, not the programmer pins, so finagle fool someone else.... Anyway problem solved. The crazy thing is that I did see and respond of course to one from our favorite tech support from the company, in that group there, and in person. And complemented you of course.
    edited 2015-05-12 00:32
    Hello!
    A follow up. After confirming that the new board works, I finally went ahead and wired a completely different method. Instead of using two DIP shaped connectors wearing a 16 lead ribbon cable, I chose two headers of the sort used by the gang next door at the A***** factory to make their protoboards.

They are positioned on the carrier board in the position of a 16 pin connector, and after carefully wire wrapping the 8 I/O points to the front, and the ground to the back ones, I then mounted it on a small bread board.

Naturally it worked.

All I could think of saying was, "I'm still so smart I amaze even myself." . Let's just say my four cats, and three others were not amused. I'll have a photo of the new guy up as soon as the next step, that of reproducing the RFID activities starts up with it later today.

Erco you've earned yourself a very large deli sandwich, preferably corned beef, but i'll accept pastrami or salami, plus the usual side orders, and your choice of a drink, in any good deli where you live.
    edited 2015-05-12 18:18
    Erco you've earned yourself a very large deli sandwich, preferably corned beef, but i'll accept pastrami or salami, plus the usual side orders, and your choice of a drink, in any good deli where you live.

I'm a man of simple tastes and budget. Subway, here I come!

Happy to hear you got it all sorted (sordid?) out and amazed yourself in the process. It's sweet when that happens.
    edited 2015-05-20 00:18
    erco wrote: »
    I'm a man of simple tastes and budget. Subway, here I come!

Happy to hear you got it all sorted (sordid?) out and amazed yourself in the process. It's sweet when that happens.

Hello!
    It seems these 3AM studies are becoming normal around here. I decided to put aside the RFID idea as its a case of "Nothing new, and nothing special here." so I picked an even older favorite which is connecting a Basic Stamp to a TI83Plus calculator, for which I needed to obtain a replacement. It was bought used.

As expected, and using a translated one from years (and different methods of discussion) earlier works after I properly wired a cable to connect to the one that the calculator uses to talk to things.

Here are a photo of the new setup and a new arrival.
    Photo_051115_004.jpg
    Photo_052015_001.jpg

You might recognize the new arrival as he was very helpful in getting it to work.
    640 x 480 - 106K
    640 x 480 - 118K
    edited 2015-05-26 18:33
    You might recognize the new arrival as he was very helpful in getting it to work.

Must be powered by static electricity then? Did he rub himself against a glass rod with tin foil leaves on top? :)