Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hoverfly Open vs Hoverfly Sport — Parallax Forums

Hoverfly Open vs Hoverfly Sport

ctilley79ctilley79 Posts: 10
edited 2015-03-25 12:40 in Robotics
I have an elev-8 v1 quadcopter. It came with a Hoverfly Sport controller which seems to be unsupported by Hoverfly. Even when I bought the copter, Hoverfly had already removed it from their website. Would it be worth upgrading the Flight controller to a newer board, or is the older board perfectly acceptable? Do the new Hoverfly boards have better firmware etc? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-03-23 08:11
    I would stick with the Sport for now. I got a Version 1 with the Open board, the earlier Version 1's were shipped with the Sport. The Sport is supposed to support and Ultrasonic Sensor for Altitude Hold, while the Open does not.

I don't think Hoverfly has upgraded firmware for the Sport or Open for quite a while now.

Parallax has said they want to make their own controller board. Not sure where that is at right now.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2015-03-23 09:02
    It's really the same board - I don't think there's any difference except maybe in layout details. If you're unable to identify and configure this board with the Hoverfly Firmware Update Client, I'd be happy to trade it out with an OPEN board - just e-mail me kgracey@parallax.com.

And yes, we've got our own board in design. Soon we will post a schematic.

Ken Gracey
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-03-23 09:40
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    And yes, we've got our own board in design. Soon we will post a schematic.

Ken Gracey

Can't wait, Ken. It should be a good one!

Jim
  • grayfoxgrayfox Posts: 39
    edited 2015-03-25 12:40
    I'd happily be a genie pig ken....just saying :-D