Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Auto parachute idea..... — Parallax Forums

Auto parachute idea.....

grayfoxgrayfox Posts: 39
edited 2015-03-20 05:15 in Robotics
So its been awhile since ive posted....been super busy, but finally had some time to pop back on here!

Im working on a few different parachute systems currently, which ill post when i get home with pictures, but i was throwing an idea around.....Does anyone have a way in which, once the battery gets to a certain level, that it would auto launch the parachute, preventing crashing?

I know there are ways in which you can set control to do certain things if the quad looses signal, but im more on the lines of battery life....

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2015-03-19 14:04
    There are many voltage monitoring devices available. Many emit an alarm sound once the voltage drops to a certain point.

I think a return to home would be better than deploying a chute. It would be difficult to pinpoint the exact time where the battery can no longer keep the vehicle flying. That point will be a ways after a low voltage alarm would sound. Those low voltage alarms are intended to protect the battery from being over-discharged. In an emergency it would be better to over-discharge the battery than to deploy a chute. Better to have the craft monitor distance to home and capacity remaining so that it can establish when it is at "bingo fuel". Deploying while the vehicle is still controllable is creating a hazard.
  • Mag748Mag748 Posts: 263
    edited 2015-03-19 14:25
    On the controller I'm using (The APM V1.0) there is a relay which can be controller with the radio. You could connect the launching mechanism to that relay. When the APM is powered up, the relay can be active, keeping the chute contained. If the APM loses power due to a battery being depleted, it would automatically turn off the relay, launching the chute. I don't know if it would actually work, but sounds like a fun experiment.

Thanks,
    Marcus
  • TigerTiger Posts: 105
    edited 2015-03-19 21:57
    This would be a slick application for the Light Commander (P/N 27109). It could monitor your battery voltage along with a multitude of other things you might want to do at the same time. Could even be remotely enabled or activated by one of your spare radio channels. The best part is that it has outputs than can handle several amps of current so you could control a solenoid, run a motor, move a servo, or even fire a squib to release your payload. I seldom see anything about the Light Commander on the forums, but it's a super flexible and powerful tool for doing all kinds of cool stuff. It's SO much more than a light controller!

Here is the link: https://www.parallax.com/product/27109

Good luck on your project! ...Tiger
  • grayfoxgrayfox Posts: 39
    edited 2015-03-20 05:15
    W9GFO - My current fpv setup on my QC already has that set. This is for a worst case scenario kind of deal....You think you are closer to home then what you really are with what battery life you have, and all of a sudden you start loosing altitude...ive seen too many videos on youtube with people doing that lol. I personally dont take mine out that far yet, however, i do that with my Zagi Delta wing lol.

Tiger - Thats a really good idea! Ill have to look into that one! I was just browsing their sale items yesterday and happen to come across that...it is pay day....lol!