Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Yawn: Another DARPA Contest — Parallax Forums

Yawn: Another DARPA Contest

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2015-03-11 08:39 in Robotics
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/25-robots-set-compete-ambitious-contest-summer-134827069.html

Very interesting to watch from the sidelines, but far too demanding for the average tinkerer. IMO there needs to be a scaled-down version for us hobbyists to enter. The Trinity Home Firefighting Robot Contest is about the most successful national amateur contest that I know of, with student and professional categories.

Parallax, when you have your P2 Launch party this year, how about hosting a simple robot challenge that modified Boebots, Activitybots & Scribblers could do well in (but not limited to those)? No line following in sunlight, either; indoors is fine. Firefighting is good, find and extinguish a candle. Maybe a Mars rover challenge, go retrieve a rock or soil sample, or navigate A to B with random obstacles. Or even a robot variety show, just demonstrate a new and/or unique action or feature, like "Hack the Halls"? Something fun but simple enough that encourages participation. Jolly good fun for the 6 o'clock news and Hackaday IMO.

Bonus points for lasers and flamethrowers, natch.

Parallax, you really should trademark "Hacktivitybot" before I do...

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-03-09 18:39
    How about a new "Hacker Or Education" 'Bot???
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2015-03-09 18:46
    erco wrote: »

Parallax, when you have your P2 Launch party this year, how about hosting a simple robot challenge that modified Boebots, Activitybots & Scribblers could do well in (but not limited to those)?

Okay, but only if you agree to be he Master of Ceremony for this simple robot challenge.

Ken Gracey
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-03-09 19:44
    Smooth Ken - very smooth!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2015-03-09 22:26
    @Ken: Sold, provided Whit co-emcees so we can also both compete. I gotta do more than just flap my gums...
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-03-11 08:37
    Very tricky erco!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2015-03-11 08:39
    Need you there, Padre! High time we met face to face. I want the whole crew there, life is short!