Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ELEV-8 and HoverFlyPro — Parallax Forums

ELEV-8 and HoverFlyPro

jgormanjgorman Posts: 2
edited 2015-03-03 20:26 in Robotics
Can anyone tell me if the HoverFlyPro is compatible with the ELEV-8 V2 and if so, since I already have the board, is there any benefit to using the Pro over the Open? If there are benefits, please explain if you have the time. Does anyone have experience using the HoverFlyPro with the ELEV-8? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2015-03-03 20:03
    Sure, you can drop a HF Pro on top of an ELEV-8. The big advantage is the auto-level and barometric pressure sensor capabilities for altitude hold. There's more, like camera control, character overlay, and support for their GPS add-on board. These capabilities are useful for flying far away, like up to 400'.

Or, you can just wait for the new Parallax Flight Controller. I'll post a schematic here pretty soon.

Ken Gracey
  • jgormanjgorman Posts: 2
    edited 2015-03-03 20:20
    Thank you very much for your reply. As I said I already have the board so when the weather gets better I will give it a try.

If you don't mind my asking, what is "character overlay".

I would love to try the new Parallax Flight Controller so when it is available I will definitely purchase one.

Ken, my adult son wants to fly the ELEV-8 but as I found out the hard way there is a learning curve. Do you recommend a simulator and if so is there one that you like best?

Thanks again!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2015-03-03 20:26
    Aha, sorry for the lack of explanation. The Hoverfly Pro board has the ability to take a video signal in, and use the Propeller to put characters on the same screen. Details like battery voltage, flight time, incline, etc can be transmitted back to a first-person view setup so you can see these parameters in your video goggles.

For your son - you can get the real thing. Google "Cheerson CX-10 Quadcopter" and buy a handful of these. This is exactly what you need for a simulator (the real thing).