Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RN-XV WiFly AP Mode and HP Stream 7 Windows 8.1 tablet — Parallax Forums

RN-XV WiFly AP Mode and HP Stream 7 Windows 8.1 tablet

Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
edited 2015-03-03 16:09 in Accessories
Just playing around with my tablet and a WiFly module...

I made a video but the HP tablet screen was too washed out so I just took pictures.

I used a Sparkfun RN-XV WiFly module plugged into a Propeller Activity board's XBEE socket.
A spin program initializes the WiFly module in AP (Access Point) mode
PUB Client_Setup | inkey
  Debug.str(string("Client Setup",13)) 
  WiFly.str(string("$$$"))
  Delay(500)                                                                  

WiFly.str(string("set wlan join 7",13))                 'Enable AP mode
  WiFly.str(string("set wlan channel 1",13))              'Specify channel to create network     
  WiFly.str(string("set apmode ssid WiFlyOne",13))        'set up network broadcast SSID 
  WiFly.str(string("set apmode passphrase xxxx1234",13))  'set AP mode passphrase 
  WiFly.str(string("set ip dhcp 4",13))                   'Enable DHCP server 
  WiFly.str(string("set ip address 192.168.2.1",13))     'Specify the IP address 
  WiFly.str(string("set ip net 255.255.255.0",13))        'Specify the subnet mask 
  WiFly.str(string("set ip gateway 192.168.2.1",13))      'Specify the gateway
  inkey := debug.rx
  WiFly.str(string("save",13))                            'Store settings
  WiFly.str(string("reboot",13))                          'Reboot the module in AP mode

From the HP Stream I connect to the WiFlyOne network on the RN-XV.
I wrote a VB6 TCP client/server program that runs on the HP Stream 7.
After entering 192.168.2.1 as the IP address, I clicked the connect button to establish the TCP connection.

There are red and green LEDs on the Activity Board breadboard which I can toggle on and off by entering "@1" or "@2" into the lower text box and clicking the SEND button.
attachment.php?attachmentid=113349

HP Stream 7 tablet screen

attachment.php?attachmentid=113350

RN-XV APMODE.jpg
VB6 TCP pgm.jpg
800 x 600 - 76K
800 x 600 - 64K

Comments

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2015-03-03 16:09
    I am attaching the VB6 source code and SPIN code.

You need the Winsock ActiveX control (MSWINSCK.OCX) and associated DLLs to run the VB program.

NOTE: When entering data to send to the WiFly module, use CTRL-ENTER to insert a carriage return / line feed. Clicking the SEND button appends a CR/LF.

RN-XV.zip

EDIT: Instead of uisng the VB6 TCP program, you can use Telnet to open a connection to the RN-XV.
    Go into "Programs and Features" from the Control Panel and add the Telnet Client from "Turn Windows features on or off".
    From a command prompt enter "Telnet 192.168.2.1 2000". Enter your commands like "@1" from Telnet. Use CTRL+] to get back to the Telnet prompt.