Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HACKING THE VPN1513 GPS Smart Module with External Antenna — Parallax Forums

HACKING THE VPN1513 GPS Smart Module with External Antenna

pilot0315pilot0315 Posts: 881
edited 2015-03-02 12:22 in Accessories
This module has a prop chip attached. The data sheet is not explicit but I got info from them regarding hacking it. They talk about hacking it in the sheet a bit.
Power the board via the vdd and gnd either by the existing pins or as seen in the data sheet. Prop plug works well. Pins 26 and 27 are directly from the gps chip.
Wipe the EEprom and write your own code and upload. Or tap into pins 26 and 27 direct feed from gps available. I did this both ways works well.
Gonna probably use the board as both in my present project. Robotic GEM telescope mount.

Media:ST-00059--GPS-Smart-Module-Schematics-RevA.jpg

Comments

• WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2015-02-22 21:48
    Glad to see someone else exploiting the propeller on the VPN1513. I have done the same recently and I am surprised it doesn't happen more with any project using the Prop and GPS. I am also modifying the antenna that it comes with, as the cable is far too long for the intended project. It's working out well, but depending on the path of Parallax's new project board, I may end up using it. My project is designed for ease of use for the customer (whether a programmer or not), but I like the idea of the versatility the project board would give to customers that would have the expertise to go farther than my product's goals.
  • pilot0315pilot0315 Posts: 881
    edited 2015-03-02 12:22
    Hey thanks for the reply. I am interested in the antenna as I agree it is too long. I asked Cris Savage about shortening it and he thinks that it would not be a problem (I am no expert on RF). Let me know.
    I have not had time to finish up the hack but hope to get it done by Sunday.
    I will post the results. BTW I found that the enable pin takes the power supply to gnd. It did not jump right out at me in the schematic.