Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Big day for multirotor — Parallax Forums

Big day for multirotor

xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
edited 2015-05-05 07:17 in Robotics
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/15/faa-drone-rule/23440469/

"The FAA proposal would allow drones weighing up to 55 pounds to fly within sight of their remote pilots during daylight hours. The aircraft must stay below 500 feet in the air and fly less than 100 mph.

People flying drones would need to be at least 17 years old, pass an aeronautics test and be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration, but a certificate wouldn't require the flight hours or medical rating of a private pilot's license."

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-02-15 09:11
    That press release pertains to commercial usage, as far as I can tell.
    The FAA proposal would allow drones weighing up to 55 pounds to fly within sight of their remote pilots during daylight hours. The aircraft must stay below 500 feet in the air and fly less than 100 mph.

People flying drones would need to be at least 17 years old, pass an aeronautics test and be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration, but a certificate wouldn't require the flight hours or medical rating of a private pilot's license.

Here is the rules for hobbyist as it applies now.

The new FAA proposal doesn't apply to hobbyists. The agency already issued a policy for recreational use, with rules calling for flying less than 400 feet high and within sight of the operator, while keeping clear of other aircraft and notifying air-traffic control when flying within 5 miles of an airport.

Still, good news for quad/hex manufactures.
  • Kyle M.Kyle M. Posts: 112
    edited 2015-02-18 05:16
    The AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) Government Relations Blog wrote a brief piece about the proposed rules for sUAS (a more throughout analysis will come):
    http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2015/02/15/dotfaa-announce-proposed-rule-for-suas/

They also provided the following links/resources:
    FAA sUAS NPRM: www.modelaircraft.org/Gov/nprm/sUAS_NPRM_2-15-2015.pdf
    FAA sUAS Proposed Rule Press Release: www.modelaircraft.org/Gov/nprm/sUAS-pressrelease-021515-FINAL.pdf
    Overview of the Small UAS Notice of Proposed Rulemaking: www.modelaircraft.org/Gov/nprm/sUAS-Summary-chart-FINAL2.15.15.pdf
    Unmanned Aircraft Systems Fact Sheet - 2/15/2015: www.modelaircraft.org/Gov/nprm/021515-UAS-Fact-Sheet.FINAL.pdf
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-02-24 13:54
    Is there a basic FAQ on how to get a commercial (I imagine experimental) licence to fly a drone? I see most of the big activity on a commercial level. You'd want a commercial license if you do anything for profit -- you'd be able to get extended liability insurance, for example.

They say drone pilots can command $100,000+ a year. Sounds like a business to be in.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,709
    edited 2015-02-24 15:20
    Not sure who THEY is again.

Drone pilots in the military may earn amounts like that. But in real commercial settings? I can not really see that.

Say infrared picture/video of houses to see energy losses thru bad/missing/never installed insulation. You may be able to charge $500 for one assessment. Piloting alone will not do it, you also need to write up some report. And find new customers. I don't think you can run more then 10 of them a week. Not for 52 weeks. Take out costs for office/advertisement/car/gas/insurance and TAXES. I do not see any $100.000+ here.

Say all this drone delivery BS. You really think amazon/UPS/FedEx/whoever pays $100.000+ for a delivery guy?

Say simple stuff like AT&T and the guys climbing on the masts. Sure the could use a quad copter to look at it. But most of it is enclosed. They have to open the box and look inside. Quad copter can't do this. Guy has to climb up anyways.

Same with PG&E. Controlling electricity lines in FPV with a quad copter can not solve any problems. The helicopter with guy in there can.

So where is the deal allowing a company to earn $250.000+ to pay somebody $100.000+, taxes, SSI, Insurance, advertisement, office,...?

I do not see $1000.000+. Not even near.

Wish I could!

Mike
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2015-02-24 15:39
    msrobots wrote: »

My guess is that the guys making six figures are the ones doing aerial video for commercials and movies. And that is for the owners, not a hired pilot.

Please someone prove me wrong!
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2015-02-24 17:05
    I do know of a "drone" pilot making six figures. However, his craft uses 6 propellers instead of 4 and goes the other direction...........

I still can't get past the media calling visual-range piloted aircraft "drones". Then again, no one claims that the media actually educates people.

Commercial usage in foreign countries is gaining popularity in a lot of agricultural markets. Makes it pretty easy for one person to scan a couple acres of crops for issues, check a mile of levee for weaknesses, viewing cattle fence lines for damage, above ground pipelines for damage/leaks (add some gas sensors too), etc. Any place where basic human inspection takes place across a large area can be adapted for a multirotor aircraft.
    628 x 431 - 47K
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2015-02-24 17:33

Drone pilots in the military may earn amounts like that. But in real commercial settings? I can not really see that.

Mike

Anyone making anywhere close to that amount in the military I can guarantee is NOT flying drones. Military pay is nowhere near that of commercial business pay.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-02-24 17:40
    I do not see $1000.000+. Not even near.

A few months back a major online news outlet (think it was CNN) pointed to markets such as high-end real estate, land surveying, conservation (forestry, water channel surveying, etc.; things now done by helicopter or 4WD), and even transmission line inspection as the forefront of drone income opportunities. I can easily see it. Work yourself into the money stream where you can save $$$ over the old ways. It can take a day for a surveyor to hike up a mountain to find some marker that can't be spotted from a distance. A drone may be able to do it in 15 minutes, recording the GPS coordinates so the surveyor can now travel right to it. Time is money, so the idea is to make your cut by saving someone else time.

I'm watching countless documentaries, like the new series with Brian Cox, where you can tell the aerial work is done predominately by drone, not helicopter. Camera copters with a pilot can easily cost $500 an hour, if not more. You can make $100,000 by charging just $50 an hour, assuming you work full time -- that's a not too unheard of rate for an independent professional photographer. Note: Cox's shots are in countries where it's probably not illegal to use a drone for aerial photog, as it has been here in the US. With these new regs, an experienced video camera operator and editor has suddenly drastically increased his or her marketability. A good shooter/editor easily makes $50/hour on an assignment, and many work full-time.

So, I think these numbers are attainable, if you consider you're not just flying the drone. Your work product is the video, and that's what you're being paid for. The drone just opens up a new way of capturing the shots.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2015-03-10 18:06
    Helen Greiner, co-founder of iRobot, started CyPhy Works a few years back, which makes "drones of a different color". Their two drones are tethered using a "patented microfilament' for secure data & video transmission. Nice to see some "outside the box/9 dots" thinking that gives their bots a point of difference. http://cyphyworks.com/robots

Plenty of room in the market for function-specific drones.
  • hazletthazlett Posts: 35
    edited 2015-03-11 02:47
    How would they know if the pilot is really 17yrs. old and pass aeronautic?
  • dmagnusdmagnus Posts: 271
    edited 2015-03-11 06:08
    hazlett wrote: »
    How would they know if the pilot is really 17yrs. old and pass aeronautic?

The same way they know a pilot flying a Cessna is old enough and has a certificate.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2015-03-15 20:12
    erco wrote: »

Silly string, tagging and flamethrowing from a drone: http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/15/Tryone-drone-sprays-paint-silly-string-and-flames
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-05-05 07:17
    erco wrote: »
    Helen Greiner, co-founder of iRobot, started CyPhy Works a few years back, which makes "drones of a different color". Their two drones are tethered using a "patented microfilament' for secure data & video transmission. Nice to see some "outside the box/9 dots" thinking that gives their bots a point of difference. http://cyphyworks.com/robots

And ChPhy has a Kickstarter going now for a new drone:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1719668770/cyphy-lvl-1-drone-reinvented-for-performance-and-c