Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SimpleIDE for Raspberry Pi? — Parallax Forums

SimpleIDE for Raspberry Pi?

RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,824
edited 2015-02-11 02:41 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Since the latest version for the Raspberry Pi is SimpleIDE 0-9-45, any idea when it will catch up with the regular SimpleIDE version that is being offered for the other platforms? Will there be a delay because the new Raspberry Pi has a four core Processor?

I had motioned in another thread that I created a program using SimpleIDE RC2 and when I compiled it with the Raspberry Pi version, the program had some problems, probably because my program has to be compiled in XMMC mode, which makes that version of SimpleIDE suspect. Not sure how enthusiastic Parallax is with supporting the Raspberry Pi.

Ray

Comments

• ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2015-02-05 11:36
    SimpleIDE 0-9-45 works great on my Pi, but I too am wondering if there is going to be a an update for the Pi to the latest SimpleIDE?
  • Sir GawainSir Gawain Posts: 32
    edited 2015-02-05 18:48
    I have had trouble in the other platforms to be able to set up a custom board that I made.
    SimpleIDE has a "how to" but it did not work except by putting it in the RasPi and reUncompressing it.
    So I am hoping, that if a newer version for the RasPi comes out, that it will allow for custom boards.

I do the programming only on the RasPi for my custom board.
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,824
    edited 2015-02-06 07:45
    It is starting to look like Parallax has lost enthusiasm for supporting SimpleIDE for the Raspberry Pi. Maybe it is time to revisit the idea of just porting PropGCC to the Raspberry Pi, since it seems like that gets updated more often than SimpleIDE.

Not sure how that would be accomplished, anybody have any ideas? I know something like that would put you back to the command line experience, but there is an IDE like Geany that runs very well on the Raspberry Pi, so that could be used as a temporary measure. I am also open to the idea of using an editor for the actual C program, and then maybe use a Python script to compile and load the program to the Propeller. So maybe the most complicated part of this experiment would be to get PropGCC on the Raspberry Pi and the loading of the program(s) to a Propeller. Good idea or bad idea?

Ray
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-02-11 02:41
    Very good idea Ray.

prop-gcc has been built many times on the raspberry Pi by myself and others. That's how we have been using SimpleIDE on the Pi for ages.

What you need to do:

1) Install mercurial, the source code management tool.

2) Clone yourself a copy of prop-gcc from google code "hg clone https://code.google.com/p/propgcc/"

3) Change into the created propgcc directory and type "make". This builds prop-gcc. It takes about 12 hours. On a new 4 core Pi use "make -j4" to parallelize the build and save time. (The four core thing should not be a problem but I have yet to try this)

There are no doubt some other dependencies that need installing first and one has to set up the /opt/parallax directory and it permissions.

I had some notes on this somewhere but my little blog is down just now.

Loading programs to the Prop from the Pi directly via the UART on the GPIO header can be done with my pi-propeller-load https://github.com/ZiCog/pi-propeller-load. That is a tweaked version of the loader in prop-gcc, I'm hoping my tweaks have made it into the prop-gcc sources so you don't need mine but I'm not sure.

As for editors, vim is great.