Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Swiss Cuttlefish Robot — Parallax Forums

Swiss Cuttlefish Robot

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2015-01-28 15:02 in Robotics
Very cool, reminds me of Festo's flying bots.

Comments

• Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2015-01-28 14:18
    Very clever. This is what I need to clean my pool. I've got this pool cleaning robot which I have just pulled to bits as it was not working properly. Internally it has a motor driving a propeller to move water through. That is a rotating seal, and they leak very slightly, and then you get "water incursion" and there are numerous discussions on pool forums talking about how pool robots don't work. Used regularly,once a week for a few hours, the seal will start leaking about the time the $800 unit goes out of warranty.

But this cuttlefish robot - every one of those moving elements can be made waterproof as it is just moving back and forward, not rotating. So you could have a flexible rubber seal.

On the inside there could be multiple servos each generating a sine waveform, or maybe there is a mechanical way to do this. Some sort of linkage with a rotating wheel and multiple cranks each offset by (say) 30 degrees. That would generate the correct sine waves. Then again, erco will probably know where to get servos cheaper than you can build a crank!

I'm all inspired by this! Hmm - the pump part of the pool filter could be a pond pump as these have magnetic couplings between the impellor and the motor. So again, no possible source of leak.

Thanks erco!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2015-01-28 15:02
    HTH Dr_Ac. When you make a million (hmmm, if you have a pool and robot maybe you're a millionaire already) on your new cuttlefish pool cleaner, just remember it was you and me and Windows 8 all the way. :)