Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The RC Servo Position Accuracy and Dead Band Blues. — Parallax Forums

The RC Servo Position Accuracy and Dead Band Blues.

Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
edited 2015-02-28 20:23 in Robotics
I've used RC servos for many robot arm projects, and they're not bad if your willing to tolerate a few millimeters positioning error, and a bit of shaking due to dead band and backlash. For a recent project I've been rebuilding my two servo scara robot arm described here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/151826-Scara-robot-using-servos-and-hardware-store-components

With ideas from the TRS bot described here: http://makezine.com/projects/trs-drawbot/

I really like how they used a clipboard as a base and work surface, because once you calibrate the arm to the surface you have a lot of repeatability. Plus the clip can act as a hold down to keep the work piece from moving. They also use batteries as a counterweight which helps reduce arm flex when extended, although it increases rotational inertial. The use of supports on both sides of the servos eliminated the need for brackets, and increased rigidity. The cable clips also work great as a pen holder. All to the good.

However, all these improvements have unveiled the inherent limitations of RC servos. The work area for this robot is small, about 120 mm by 150 mm, so every little bit of error is really noticeable. Straight lines are a bit wibbly-wobbly, and the images drawn by a robot are warped due to uneven servo positioning. Careful servo calibration is for naught because the errors are usually smaller than the amount of slop from dead band and backlash. Plus the non-linearity of pots means the calibration is different for different angles.

What I'd like to do is build a V3.0 of my scara arm that is accurate to within a mm or two and highly repeatable. But achieving this will require something better than analog RC servos. But what? Some candidates:

Digital RC servos - they're supposed to have less dead band than analog servos. It might be enough to counteract its effect, but I imagine feedback pots will still be nonlinear.

RC servos with openServo and openEncoder electronics - I've seen demos online using these which are really sweet. But the control electronics are hard to come by.

Dynamixel servos - these are supposed to have ten bit position encoders, but they're an unknown quantity to me. They're $40 a piece which means if I buy them and they don't do what I want it will be an expensive lesson. I think these guys are also higher voltage than RC servos which means a power supply redo.

Stepper motors - I know these will work, but steppers are a pain. Most small steppers only have a 7 degree step size, so I'll need a gear train to increase resolution and torque. But that introduces backlash. Moreover I haven't seen any off the shelf gear trains for steppers. Over the weekend I tried hooking a stepper up to Lego gears, but that was an exercise in frustration.

Anything I'm missing?

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-01-26 07:30
    Hey Martin. Ready for some snow? :)

A year or so ago, I did a project with a Hitec Digital Servo. I bought the Programmer for it that allowed for some pretty good adjustments. I was interested in the Deadband in particular.

https://www.servocity.com/html/hpp-21_servo_programmer.html#.VMZdDv54p4c

It's worked well as I was trying to get rid of some "creeping" at center.

Jim
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2015-01-26 12:13
    The "stippling" effect used on that TRS drawbot is ingenious. Those deadband wiggles aren't even noticed, 'cuz it's "art".

I'm sure better servos can lead to better results. Of course, the mechanical linkage is critical. Any slop/backlash undoes servo improvements. You'll need really stiff links and bearings in your arm, plus a very stiff pen mount and pen. Check this guy's drawbot, his pink pen wobbles all over the place. Yet again, stippling saves the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0PaxYGbgd8

Another option is to manage expectations and embrace curved letters, as done on my simple BS2 printer below. :)
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2015-01-26 12:16
    Publison wrote: »
    Hey Martin. Ready for some snow?

Ready as I'll ever be. My kids school was preemptively canceled, my employer told everyone to work from home tomorrow, and my dentist canceled.

I heard that digital servos could be programmed to improve their performance, so that's something to consider.
    edited 2015-01-26 12:27
    erco wrote: »
    The "stippling" effect used on that TRS drawbot is ingenious. Those deadband wiggles aren't even noticed, 'cuz it's "art".

Mine can already draw patterns that are as good as the TRS stippling effect. The wiggles actually enhance them because every drawing is like a snowflake. My bot uses a microcontroller with a gcode parser rather than an audio WAV file. I did a stippled "Hello World" that was pretty freaky and my tool chain is awkwardly long. I use MS paint to create large bold letters, I loaded the JPG into Stipple Gen 2 to create a TSP path in SVG format, I use my own SVG to Gcode converter, and finally downloaded it onto my drawbot.

It works, but I want to make something better.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2015-01-26 17:37
    Canceled ??? What the ???? I grew up in Montana many years ago and they did not cancel anything, ever!!! Living in Tucson was a bit different, but not where it is suppose to snow!!!!
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2015-01-26 17:52
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Canceled ??? What the ???? I grew up in Montana many years ago and they did not cancel anything, ever!!! Living in Tucson was a bit different, but not where it is suppose to snow!!!!

I grew up in Indiana and they would cancel some unimportant things like school and some stores would close, but basketball? Oh no! They sent us home from school at lunch time one day because of a snow storm. 6 PM that night night, with 18 inches of snow on the ground, the gymnasium was packed for a basketball game. Hoosier Hysteria indeed! :-)

@
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2015-01-26 18:52
    Are linear actuators out?

I haven't tried Dynamixel but if I were looking for repeatability I'd go with Dynamixel on the gripper and wrist, the rest wouldn't be servo motors. The arm's structure should support the weight, not the motors. Less amps, stronger, more motor possibilities, and should be a lot more accurate too.
    edited 2015-01-26 18:54
    Martin_H wrote: »
    Mine can already draw patterns that are as good as the TRS stippling effect.

This young one has spiwit! Would love to see some pics & video, Boss!
    ... and my tool chain is awkwardly long. I use MS paint to create large bold letters, I loaded the JPG into Stipple Gen 2 to create a TSP path in SVG format, I use my own SVG to Gcode converter, and finally downloaded it onto my drawbot.

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie, pal!
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-01-27 07:06
    @Martin_H

Have you looked at toothed belts and gears for this? I have come across some optical spectrometers that used stepper motors, toothed belts, and gears to position phototubes on the desired secondary slits. Reasonably good accuracy, good repeatability, and very little backlash or play.
    edited 2015-01-27 07:41
    @erco, I'll post a video when I get a chance.

@kwinn, I've thought about steppers, but they seem to come in two types. Pancake with two or three mm shafts, and big ones with 5 mm shafts. I haven't seen much in the way of gears or belts for the former which are more in the size I was thinking. For the latter I've seen pulleys and belts but they're bigger than I had in mind.

I tried interfacing some Lego gears to a pancake stepper but coupling the shafts proved unworkable. I was thinking of buying some surplus gears to see if I could find something that would work.
    edited 2015-01-27 10:13
    @Martin_H

A DC motor with encoder would work, but that's a bit more complex. Some of the old dot matrix printers had small belts and stepper motors that might work. There are also printers like the Okidata 180 series that use a system somewhat like rack and pinion steering with the motor on the print head carriage. Another technique used in spectroscopy was to spring load the carriage so it was always pressed against one side of a gear tooth.
    edited 2015-01-27 15:43
    kwinn wrote: »
    @Martin_H: Have you looked at toothed belts and gears for this?

I've noticed that a lot of these cable-driven drawbots use string with beads molded on, as seen on vertical drapery cords. Watch at ~1:20. Also notice the high-tech "tensioner": a retail bag of screws. :)
    edited 2015-01-27 16:05
    It's always a matter of how precise you need to be for the task at hand. For simple drawings a bead chain might be all you need.
    edited 2015-01-27 18:31
    That's a pretty trippy drawbot. The diagonal raster scan is neat.
    edited 2015-01-27 21:07
    That's a pretty trippy drawbot. The diagonal raster scan is neat.

This polar/radial printer with curved "rasters" is also pretty rad.
    edited 2015-01-28 18:10
    For grins and giggles I'm going to try a pair of eBay steppers and see how they work. I already have them mounted and there's a fair bit of gear backlash, so I'm not hopeful.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-01-28 18:27
    'Just thinking out loud here, but what if you were to gang two servos, both receiving the same pulses, but rotationally offset by a degree or two? They'd constantly be fighting each other a little bit, which means there'd be no backlash or deadband,

-Phil
    edited 2015-01-28 19:00
    For grins and giggles I'm going to try a pair of eBay steppers and see how they work. I already have them mounted and there's a fair bit of gear backlash, so I'm not hopeful.

The two dollar Ebay steppers? You could have saved time and just burned your $4. :)

Seriously, I've given up on those other than demonstrating that they turn. Any load and they skip and start stripping. Very tiny gears inside. NEVER try to back drive them.
    edited 2015-01-28 19:27
    Erco, yeah it's a long shot.

Phil, it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how to physically pull that off. The other idea I have brewing is replacing the control electronics with this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9014 Basically it's a DIY digital servo with open firmware. With that I might be able to reduce the dead band at the expensive of more chatter and power consumption. The downside of this board is you must feed it more than six volts.
    edited 2015-02-08 11:06
    As predicted the eBay steppers were no improvement over servos. What they lacked in dead band they more than made up for in backlash and missed steps. I've heard that Parallax analog servos are particularly linear and accurate compared to the PowerHD servos I was using. So I'll swap out servos and see if they're any better.
    edited 2015-02-08 18:43
    I just ran a test using Parallax servos versions the Power HD I used before. The Parallax servos do seem a bit more linear with less dead band than the Power HD. There's still a wobble to straight lines, but they're a tad bit better. There's also images distortion due to nonlinearity, but it seems a bit better as well. This kind of implies that digital servos with tunable PID loops should yield even better results.
    edited 2015-02-16 06:02
    Here's a vote for steppers over RC servos. I am humbled by this builder's Robot Scribe:

[video=youtube_share;VfSXa97sCNQ]
    edited 2015-02-16 07:34
    Yep, stepper motors and toothed belts make for reasonably priced and relatively precise positioning when compared to a lot of other methods. Used in a lot of equipment.
    edited 2015-02-16 08:50
    Awesome stepper drawbot!
    edited 2015-02-28 20:23
    Chappie wins the speed prize for stipple drawing (jump to the minute mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNshgSYF_Mt=64