Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What a Tool! — Parallax Forums

What a Tool!

TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
edited 2015-01-26 18:45 in Robotics
What a Tool!
I have developed a new tool that might be useful to anyone that wants to make Extension Cord repairs and decides not to unplug the Cord before starting the repair...
TheGambler.jpg

New tool now offers 25% less chance of cutting the hot wire.(if plugged in during repair)
Distracting bright chrome plating replaced with a less distracting Oxide layer.
Operation now requires at least 10 to 15 pounds of pull on both handles to open.
And it only cost $35 dollars, a burn injury, and blurry stars added to your vision for a few hours.

-What a Tool!...(Sigh...)
1024 x 1365 - 178K

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-01-25 22:32
    Will it work for cutting off undesired battery connectors both lines at once? I've lost count how many times I've done this. Not all such occurrences resulted in the complete death of the battery (nor did they all result in near death experiences).
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2015-01-25 22:54
    Absolutely! With just two wires and no pesky equipment ground wire, the odds of not shorting the hot wire are now around 50%.
    Not bad odds for all the time and money you can save by not taking the time to unplug the power source...

-Tommy
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-01-25 23:56
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Not bad odds for all the time and money you can save by not taking the time to unplug the power source...

They'll be particularly convenient with my large capacity LiPo packs since the wire with connector to be removed are soldered to the LiPo cells.

The little metal tabs used to link the cells together kind of act as a fuse. The tabs melt/vaporize before the pack explodes (at least before it completely explodes).
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-01-26 01:09
    Wow, Tommy! Great invention but you probably won't be able to patent it...there's probably lots of prior art work already on file with insurance claims and police reports.

To borrow Tom the aviation community, "any home repair you can walk away from is a good home repair."
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2015-01-26 11:35
    Reminds of the time I was putting a pull chain light in my parent's attic.

I turned off the correct breaker to a wire originally run by an electrician for window air conditioners.

Since we had central air installed, I figured I would use that cable for the light.

I cut the cable and sparks flew! I landed on my knees but luckily did not fall thru the ceiling!

The electrician ran TWO circuits thru that cable and I only turned off one...
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2015-01-26 14:15
    And you're a PRO, Sparky! What chance do the rest of us stand?
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-01-26 18:45
    Glad you are okay! Yikes...