Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ESC programming/binding with an older radio — Parallax Forums

ESC programming/binding with an older radio

tentoes1tentoes1 Posts: 9
edited 2015-02-01 12:58 in Robotics
Hello: I recently got an Elev 8 and I expected there to be an ESC programming card included. The instructions seem to apply mainly to newer types of radios that are able to connect to and program the ESCs. The radio that I had intended to use is an older, six-channel Futaba FM-modulated radio that I have had for some time now. I assume that I need one of these programming cards, but I can't find them offered on the parallax site. Can anyone guide me as to what I should do?

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-01-25 12:12
    tentoes1 wrote: »
    Hello: I recently got an Elev 8 and I expected there to be an ESC programming card included. The instructions seem to apply mainly to newer types of radios that are able to connect to and program the ESCs. The radio that I had intended to use is an older, six-channel Futaba FM-modulated radio that I have had for some time now. I assume that I need one of these programming cards, but I can't find them offered on the parallax site. Can anyone guide me as to what I should do?

Elev8's ESCs come preprogrammed.

If you need to reprogram the ESCs you can still use your old radio. You need to program the ESCs one at a time but plugging the signal line into the throttle channel of the radio receiver. You then follow the directions (they're around here somewhere) and raise and lower the throttle as you listen to beeps. It's a pain to do it this way but it does work.

Do you have Propeller board besides the HoverFly board? If so you can use the nifty ESC programming program available here.

Let us know if you need help with either of these methods. If you want to program the ESC with your radio, let us know and we can help locate the instructions.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-01-25 12:47
    tentoes1 wrote: »

Welcome to the forums!

If you just recently purchased the ELEV-8, (Version 2?), the ESC'c come pre-programmed.

Let us know the model of the transmitter and receiver. Even the older 72Mhz radios will work.
  • tentoes1tentoes1 Posts: 9
    edited 2015-02-01 12:58
    Thank you for the replies. The radio I have is a Futaba "Skysport" FP-T6VA and the Crystal on the back is labeled 72.710 MHz. So I am probably cool with flying it around the National Security Agency headquarters, right? JUST JOKING, BIG BROTHER!