Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Trouble With Syntax — Parallax Forums

Trouble With Syntax

Tony 4dTony 4d Posts: 45
edited 2015-01-14 15:52 in Robotics
Ok My Activity Bot works great, but how does one remember all the Syntax in "C" programming? Having a real hard time with it.

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-01-13 15:47
    Tony 4d wrote: »
    Ok My Activity Bot works great, but how does one remember all the Syntax in "C" programming? Having a real hard time it.

Same 3 things as for any other language. Practice, Practice, Practice. Sticking up some notes might help a little also.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-01-13 22:00
    Having some example code handy is also useful. I often end up copying and pasting code from an earlier program in order to get the syntax correct.
  • Tony 4dTony 4d Posts: 45
    edited 2015-01-14 04:21
    Thanks guys. I guess practice is the best thing. Really like this little bot. I'll keep working at it. Does parallax publish any kind of reference material showing the syntax for all commands?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-01-14 06:41
    Thanks guys. I guess practice is the best thing. Really like this little bot. I'll keep working at it. Does parallax publish any kind of reference material showing the syntax for all commands?

I don't think there's a hard copy of the commands yet. The C material is still relatively new.
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2015-01-14 09:11

For the SimpleIDE libraries, if you go to this page http://learn.parallax.com/C/about-simpleide-windows-projects-tabs-and-files it says:
    Find and Use Precompiled Libraries

Need to go shopping for libraries that support devices? In SimpleIDE, Click Help and select Simple Library Reference. When you have found a Simple Library you want to use, simply #include that library in your program, and SimpleIDE takes care of the rest. For example, if the ping library has the functions you need to incorporate a Ping))) sensor into your project, add #include “ping.h” to your project. Your program can then call any function in the ping library.

In SimpleIDE, When I Click "Help" and select "Simple Library Reference" my computer opens Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer displays the "Simple Libraries Folder Index" page, and a list of the SimplelDE Libraries are shown.

When I click on a library, Internet Explorer opens a page describing the syntax of all the functions in the selected library.

Information on the PropellerGCC Libraries can be found at: https://sites.google.com/site/propellergcc/documentation/libraries

I hope this helps.
  • DomanikDomanik Posts: 233
    edited 2015-01-14 10:20
    When you installed the simpleIDE this file was created on your hard drive:

C:\..\My Documents\SimpleIDE\Learn\Simple Libraries\Utility\libsimpletools\Documentation simpletools Library.html

I have a shortcut in my browser that takes me to it. It has many of the Parallax commands with descriptions. Otherwise,
    I google or study the C samples in the "Simple Libraries" and try to accumulate my own knowledge base of C functions.
    The other Parallax C code libraries have their folders with examples too. Good spelunking fun.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2015-01-14 10:57
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Having some example code handy is also useful. I often end up copying and pasting code from an earlier program in order to get the syntax correct.

+1. I constantly jump back & forth between various micros, and I have made a starter template program for each using proper syntax with all necessary directives and my most often-used commands and routines roughed out. Quick & easy to cut, copy and paste what I need.
  • Tony 4dTony 4d Posts: 45
    edited 2015-01-14 15:52
    Ok, thanks everyone. This really is fun stuff!