Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interfacing Surface Transducer to Propeller Professional Devel Board — Parallax Forums

Interfacing Surface Transducer to Propeller Professional Devel Board

roboticsrobotics Posts: 90
edited 2015-01-07 08:16 in Accessories
Hi,

In regards to the SparkFun large Surface Transducer https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10975, can I hook this transducer directly up to the PPDB or would I need additional components and a separate power supply as seems to be suggested by the PPDB documentation.? I am new to hooking up any high power/current devices to the PPDB so any detailed suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-01-06 20:40
    You will need an audio power amplifier and a higher voltage and current power supply if you want to get close to high end of the power range. At lower power a 5V supply would work. There are single chip power amps that will do that.
  • roboticsrobotics Posts: 90
    edited 2015-01-06 23:22
    Hi,

Can I used the 5V power from the PPDB breadboard rails? How would the transducer be hooked up to the PPDB amplifier? Thank you.
  • Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
    edited 2015-01-07 05:44
    "How would the transducer be hooked up to the PPDB amplifier? Thank you."
    As kwinn said, you will need an audio power amplifier and power supply. The amplifier chip on the PPDB is a stereo HEADPHONE amplifier rated for 80 milliwatts, your transducer is a 4 Ohm, 3 - 6 Watt device. The load it presents is too great for little amplifier, it will probably just shut down.
    Even with a audio power amp, I would not use the PPDB supply rail, at max output it will pull too much current.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-01-07 08:16
    You could use something like this one from digikey LA4425A-EOS-ND . It is one of the simplest to use through hole power amplifiers that is suitable for a 4 ohm load. Requires a 13.2V 3.3A power supply for 5W out.