Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for a recommendation on a low power display: Updated with results - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Looking for a recommendation on a low power display: Updated with results

2»

Comments

• . I see your nice display in the bezel, that says, "TDS" "hazardous". Is that water quality, total dissolved solids?
    Yep that is what I was measuring. You may not remember but you helped my with the power supply design for the sensor / ZigBee radio last summer. I now have it reporting up to SmartThings and it has been running on a 9V battery since last October. Here is a plot of my household TDS values https://thingspeak.com/channels/86862

I will be happy to share my object it should be pretty clean as far as the display is concerned. If I remember correctly I did some changing of the propeller's clock speed on the fly to reduce power consumption. I will try to find time to dig it out and post it here. If I don't please bug me about it when you need it I will make it a priority.
  • I don't see many options for small e-ink/e-paper displays. One from Pervasive Displays and a shield to go with it are offered by Seeedstudio. I too find both its hardware and firmware interface daunting. I want a smaller screen anyway, no larger than 40mmx40mm and the Sharp displays fit that bill nicely.

Having code examples for the Sharp (Marty's) is great. John, did you polish up your object? I may ask you more about it when I get the hardware (the 10 pin FPC) hooked up. I'm making a really simple carrier board with just the bypass capacitors and means to connect it to free points on an existing Prop board. I see your nice display in the bezel, that says, "TDS" "hazardous". Is that water quality, total dissolved solids?

Tracy, I don't see getting a chance to clean up my object so here it is in the rough. Maybe it can help if you use it as a reference.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,657
    edited 2016-06-09 16:33
    You had quite a spike in TDS on June 5th-6th, above 1000ppm --What happened?!

Thanks for the object, not too rough I think. Right away I like the method you adapted from Chris Gadd, DisplayChar(char, Col, Row). I'll want to do the display of text and graphs, similar to what you have done. The graphs are easy, but I wasn't clear on how to enter the alphanumerics into the buffer. 512 longs for the 128x128 screen.

Sharp now offers a 128x128 color (3 bit) memory LCD, but it needs 5V power.