Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Motor Mount & Wheel Kit - Wheels Loose — Parallax Forums

Motor Mount & Wheel Kit - Wheels Loose

rsummanrsumman Posts: 5
edited 2015-01-06 13:47 in Robotics
I am building a robot using the Motor Mount & Wheel Kit. I find that after the robot has driven around for a while the screw attaching the wheel to the motor shaft has loosened up for each motor. I have tried inserting a split ring washer onto each screw but this has not made much of a difference. Ay suggestions for stopping the screws coming out?

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-12-29 15:02
    Loctite is the only thing I can think of to keep the original bolt in place.

I lost one of my original 1/4" bolts to hold the wheel in place (it's on my lab floor somewhere). I used a nylon bolt as a replacement and it seems to hold its position better than the metal bolt. It doesn't look as nice as the original bolt though.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-12-29 18:57
    Plumbers tape often works also. I have used it in a pinch or when I do not want bolts to be close to impossible to remove. Another thing that works is the goop used to put on gas pipe threads. Once it hardens it holds pretty well.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-12-29 19:20
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Plumbers tape often works also.

Very good. I like this idea. No mess to deal with.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2014-12-29 20:19
    HI Rsumman - welcome to the Forums!

Do you have the drive pins engaged into the slot on the wheel hub? If you cinch them down tightly, they should not allow the bolts to spin at all (to work their way out).
    -MattG
  • rsummanrsumman Posts: 5
    edited 2015-01-06 13:47
    The drive pins are indeed engaged into the slot, however, the bolts still seem to work themselves loose. I have tried the idea of the plumbers tape and this seems to be working very well - thanks for the suggestions all!