Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gun for robot — Parallax Forums

Gun for robot

AGCBAGCB Posts: 327
edited 2014-12-18 05:18 in Robotics
I'm looking for ideas for an inexpensive ($40 max) semi-automatic gun to mount on my robot, powerful enough to knock over empty pop cans at about 6 feet but safe to use indoors. Needs to be able to be triggered by a small relay circuit or something.

Weight is no problem up to about 5 pounds (big robot). I would like it to shoot a grouping of less than 6 inches @ 6 feet. Sighting would be a laser and aiming by turning robot. The whole thing is remotely controlled (wireless via camera displayed on TV.

Except for the gun all is built and working.

Thanks
Aaron

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2014-12-16 05:21
    Hasbro makes repeating Nerf Guns that may fit the bill. I am not a bit fan of them, but ballistic-wise they are optimal for a safe and sane starting point. And I think that a good fit for your budget.

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_us/

About the only other gun I can think of is a repeating paint ball gun. Maybe you can get ammunition that does not include the paint and can reduce the air pressure to suit you. You might have to find something used to fit your budget.
  • AGCBAGCB Posts: 327
    edited 2014-12-16 05:37
    That NERF N-STRIKE ELITE STRYFE Blaster looks like it might work. I'm wondering how hard the trigger pull is
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,762
    edited 2014-12-16 05:46
    Mabe Erco Knows, that seems to be in his wheel house!
    Jim
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-12-16 07:56
    AGCB wrote: »
    That NERF N-STRIKE ELITE STRYFE Blaster looks like it might work. I'm wondering how hard the trigger pull is

I've used something like it (toy models come and go) with a standard RC servo for the trigger pull. It works fine. You may need to play around on the linkage to maximize the mechanical advantage. It's all basic levers.

I also tried various disc and foam pellet shooters from the dollar store. Junk. Spend a few bucks for something decent. The cheap toys aren't very aerodynamic, so things fly out everywhere.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-12-16 09:09
    Fun project. I would have said Airsoft pellets but you did qualify "safe indoors". Per other comments, head to a toy store and take your pick of guns which suits your fancy. Nerf guns can shoot 3" long foam darts or 1.5" disks with great accuracy. Mattel's new Boomco guns shoot similar sized foam darts with a special tip that sticks to certain paper materials, useful for target grouping.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-12-16 12:42
    We have a Nerf N-Strike Vulcan. It's a belt fed gun and it's down right amazing!

I modified ours a bit to make it easier to use with either an external power supply or with a 3-cell LiPo pack. I heard the guns can burn through D-Cells pretty fast and I didn't want to spend my money on disposable batteries.

I'm pretty sure these have been used with robot projects but I don't recall any off the top of my head.

I did find this robot with a Nerf gun.
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2014-12-18 05:18
    Publison wrote: »

My students became crazy with joy when they saw the video of S2 marauder!
    I would like to use it on my school projects.
    Does palallax sell this product? I remeber I had seen it somewhere, but I can't find it now