Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"STAMP detected but not responding. Check power." Error — Parallax Forums

"STAMP detected but not responding. Check power." Error

snw13snw13 Posts: 2
edited 2015-01-11 08:19 in BASIC Stamp
So I just set up my Board of Education (USB), and connected it however I get this when I try to ID it. Any Mac users run into this issue before?
Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 4.45.37 PM.png

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2014-12-15 18:30
    The wording of the message is different from that produced by the Stamp Editor, but the problem is the same. Your Stamp isn't responding. The most common reason for this is the lack of power to the Stamp. Occasionally someone has inserted their Stamp backwards in the socket on the Board of Education. The Stamp Editor, whether for Windows, Linux, or the Mac has to have a working serial connection to the Stamp. That's the "detection" part. The Stamp itself and the Editor have to carry on a conversation for it to be identified as to the model and firmware version. That's what's missing. The Stamp's microprocessor has to be running which needs power to do. The various components on the Stamp module also have to be working, but that's rarely the cause of this message. The Stamps are individually tested before shipping and are fairly robust.

You may be assuming that the USB connection is powering the Board. It only powers the USB to serial adapter and its LEDs. You need a 9V battery or power cube or other source of 6-9V plugged into the power jack. The on/off switch also needs to be in one of the on positions (1 or 2).

If you still can't get it to work and it's powered properly, call Parallax tech support. They'll help you get it working.
  • snw13snw13 Posts: 2
    edited 2014-12-17 11:35
    I'm sure the Stamp is inserted in the upright position. I had the battery pack plugged in, with 4 new batteries, and the switch in the 1 position. I called Parallax, and they said to try different batteries since I don't have to tool to measure the actual voltage. I'll post if I get it working.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-12-18 09:21
    On a PC we would also check the USB latency settings, however on a Mac I have no idea if these settings apply in the driver or where you would go to check them.
  • bhamelbhamel Posts: 1
    edited 2015-01-11 07:48
    Same problem here. I'm using:
    o.. Board Of Education (BOE) kit
    o.. MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
    o.. MAC OS X 10.9.5
    o.. Editor macbs2 pre-release3.1.5 (prerelease) (96)

I'll admit that I thought the USB powered the STAMP at first but after inserting a 9v battery, and checking it with a volt meter I realized I had other problems.

The fix was that I installed the recommended USB FTDI driver on both MACs and it then recognized the STAMP.

The drivers are located here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I used the x64 (64bit) package listed in the matrix, filename FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18.dmg. There are 2 packages within the dmg, one for OS X 10.3, and the other for OS X 10.4 - 10.7. I installed the later (the 10.4-10.7) and it worked on both of my OSes listed above.

To bypass the security block, you will need to CTRL-SINGLE-CLICK the file and select OPEN-WITH->INSTALLER and select OPEN.

Once you have completed the installation.

1. Reboot your MAC (This is a must)
    2. Install power source to BOE (I used a 9v battery)
    3. Connect USB to MAC and BOE
    4. Set switch on BOE to 1 or 2
    5. Select the Serial port in upper right corner of macbs2 editor
    6. Select "ID" on upper left of macbs2 editor or or run a program
    You should now get a positive response that the STAMP has been recognized

I found reference to the FTDI drivers on Murat's site here (Thanks Murat for the editor and information):http://www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2-experimental/downloads.shtml

HTH
    -bh
    771 x 506 - 61K
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-01-11 08:19
    @bh,

Welcome to the forums!

Glad you are having good luck with the new release 3.1.5, and the information you provided may help many people looking at up grading. Thanks!

Murat has been a great contributor. All this has been on his personal time.