Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee comm issue — Parallax Forums

XBee comm issue

Ray0665Ray0665 Posts: 231
edited 2014-12-15 13:43 in Accessories
I have two XBee-AWI-001 rev C modules that have stopped communicating. Im using fdserial to interface the modules at 9600 8N1.
The sender is on an activity board and the receiver is on a propeller BOE board. (Yes I am sure the IO is wired correctly even tried it both ways out of desperation.)

Spin test programs are attached which basically sends the letter "a" from the sender to the receiver who is supposed to display it on a terminal.

Since they were not communicating I then downloaded the XCTU software from DIGI and it was able to see and connect to each unit at 9600 8N1.

I then upgraded the firmware and loaded the default settings. Still no comm.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed next?

What are the default AT commands to ensure they are set to communicate at 9600 8N1?

Comments

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2014-12-14 14:13
    If both of those units have the default 802.15.4 firmware, they should be able to talk to one another. Transmit and receive are on address 0, channel 12, terminal interface at 9600 baud. There are a host of other settings that could make it not work, but the defaults should be successful. Since you have XCTU, you can examine the settings. Leave one XBee attached to XCTU and first try to get one Prop-connected XBee to talk to XCTU in its terminal mode.

Your programs are straightforward. The only thing I notice is that in Sender you didn't allow a pause after ser.Start to allow the port to initialize.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-12-15 13:43
    If you have the XBee USB Adapter you can always load both modules one at a time and set everything to factory defaults. Remember that you must then write the registers out before it will take affect.