Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Easy VR + PIC Board — Parallax Forums

Easy VR + PIC Board

MohsenMawadMohsenMawad Posts: 4
edited 2014-12-14 13:15 in Robotics
My university project is to control a 2WD Robot using Voice Recognition
SO i got the EASY VR Module but it is used generally with Arduino Uno
I am using a PIC Board
Any one have any experience with this kind of Combination ?

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-12-10 09:00
    While many of the examples for the EasyVR are written for the Arduino, any microcontroller which is able to send and receive serial commands can interface with it. IIRC, the baud for the EasyVR is 9600.

If your PIC has an UART, it should work fine with the EasyVR. I think the 9600 baud is slow enough, you could get by with a software UART though it would be nice to have a FIFO buffer.

There was some discussion about the EasyVR in this thread. Hopefully there is information in the thread which will make it easier to see what it takes to interface with the module.
  • MohsenMawadMohsenMawad Posts: 4
    edited 2014-12-14 11:43
    I know it will work with the PIC Board but i have been told that i need to write a custom library special for the PIC bcz there s only an ARDUINO Library built-in
    So can anyone help me to write this library
    edited 2014-12-14 12:42
    I know it will work with the PIC Board but i have been told that i need to write a custom library special for the PIC bcz there s only an ARDUINO Library built-in
    So can anyone help me to write this library

Generally people on the forum are willing to answer questions and possibly take a look at a program someone else is working on but it's very uncommon for someone to write software for someone else for free.

I've written some example code to use the EasyVR on the Propeller but this was because I wanted to use the EasyVR with the Propeller myself. The trick will be finding someone who also wants to use the EasyVR with a PIC but I doubt there are many people on the Parallax forums who are planning to do this. The Propeller, SX and the Basic Stamp tend to be microcontrollers used around here.

Have you asked in any of the PIC forums?

Edit: As I think about this a bit more, I'm not sure how much a "library" would really be useful. The EasyVR interface is pretty simple. Most of the work will be in writing code to activate the correct word groups and branching the program in the correct paths. These aspects will be very dependent on the type of program you're writing and I don't see a library as being much of a help.

Of course seeing some examples using he PIC would helpful but doesn't the PIC use C? I'd think many of the Arduino examples would be applicable to the PIC.

I did see this post but it doesn't look like the code worked.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2014-12-14 12:48
    If it is a university project you should write the software yourself.
    edited 2014-12-14 13:13
    Can you use three UARTS with your PIC?

I found it really helpful to understand how the EasyVR worked by watching the communication between the PC GUI program and the EasyVR. I did this by setting up a bridge program to monitor the data exchange and send the exchange to a terminal window.

This post has details about what I saw in this exchange.

Sorry I don't know much about PIC microcontrollers but I'll try to answer any questions about the EasyVR I can.
    edited 2014-12-14 13:15
    Leon wrote: »
    If it is a university project you should write the software yourself.

Hi Leon,

He will of course he will have to write the software himself. This doesn't mean he has to write every low level driver. Nor does it mean it wouldn't be helpful to find some examples with using the PIC with an EasyVR.