Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Old Robots and Old Guys — Parallax Forums

Old Robots and Old Guys

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2014-12-08 17:12 in Robotics
I had a toy robot collection as a kid growing up around 1970. Classic tin toys, many of the Japanese robots featured in books & posters these days, selling for incredible amounts. TTYTT, they didn't do very much. Here's a typical (other than being extra large, 16" tall ) Horikawa "Rotate-O-Matic" robot on Ebay now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-SH-Horikawa-tin-Rotate-O-Matic-16-SUPER-GIANT-ROBOT-made-in-Japan-MIB-/151504619746 All mechanical, with some incandescent light bulbs. Walk, shoot/rotate, repeat.

Today, the choices are so much better. You can still get big plastic toy robots that walk & shoot, but a Boebot or Activity bot are amazing in contrast to the offerings I had. Very educational. I sure hope the "leg up" which the current generation has on me ensures that creative young minds will be designing truly helpful robots in the near future. You know, caregiving robots to take good care of me as I approach my golden years not long from now. :)

OK, young whippersnappers, now get crackin'!

IOW, education is important, but robots are importanter.

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2014-12-08 17:12
    I had one of those growing up, but I was too rough on it and his arms fell off.