Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp Code For WS2812B — Parallax Forums

Stamp Code For WS2812B

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2014-12-05 23:25 in BASIC Stamp
Are there any plans to write Stamp code for these LED's? I have some Stamps not in use and I have a couple ideas that these would work great with.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-12-05 17:34
    The Stamp isn't fast enough to produce the required signals. I think Arduinos can just barely do it.

From the product page:
    Additionally, the serial communication protocol the module utilizes relies heavily on strict timing constraints. Thus, the BASIC Stamp module cannot reliably communicate with the WS2812B RGB LED Module.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,014
    edited 2014-12-05 17:50
    The BASIC Stamp is not fast enough to create the single-wire signal for the WS2812. The 2-wire (clock and data) WS2801 on the other hand, can be controlled with a BASIC Stamp (using SHIFTOUT). The problem you encounter is memory: each pixel requires three bytes if you want the full color range.

Stick with the Propeller for these guys.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-12-05 18:03
    I thought there was a reason there was no code for it. Thanks guys.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
    edited 2014-12-05 19:30
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    I thought there was a reason there was no code for it. Thanks guys.

Hello!
    Oddly enough, partner, I already raised that issue back in November. That's when those amazing boards were first spotted. Incidentally Jon, I either owe you a meal at a special deli in NYC for confirming my problem all over again here, or vice versa where you are.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,014
    edited 2014-12-05 23:25
    Incidentally Jon, I either owe you a meal at a special deli in NYC for confirming my problem all over again here, or vice versa where you are.

I have lots of friends (actors) in NYC that have been asking me to come visit. I'll let you know when I'm there -- or if you find yourself in LA, we have a couple good delis, too. :)

I'm glad I could help.