Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem with PAM-7Q GPS Module — Parallax Forums

Problem with PAM-7Q GPS Module

Camaro612Camaro612 Posts: 4
edited 2014-12-03 12:20 in Accessories
Hello ,

I downloaded the example code for the Pam-7Q GPS , and after running it with terminal I got "GPS Fix : Not Valid " . Any help will be appreciated

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-12-02 11:17
    Camaro612 wrote: »
    Hello ,

I downloaded the example code for the Pam-7Q GPS , and after running it with terminal I got "GPS Fix : Not Valid " . Any help will be appreciated

Welcome to the forums!

The GPS has to have a good field of view for satellites. This means it can not be inside a building.

Where are you trying to run the GPS module from.?
  • Camaro612Camaro612 Posts: 4
    edited 2014-12-02 11:40
    Thank you Publison ,

I try the GPS inside and outside the building .
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-12-02 13:43
    How long did you wait for the necessary minimum number of satellites to be acquired? It's not instantaneous after power up. In fact, depending on many factors it can take 2-5 minutes.
    edited 2014-12-03 08:17
    I put it out side and wait for more than 15 minutes and nothing changed all the readings show 0 with "GPS Fix : Not Valid "
    edited 2014-12-03 08:47
    Are you using the C code or Spin code? Do you have a picture of your setup? (It's easy to get RX and TX reversed).
  • Daniel HarrisDaniel Harris Posts: 207
    edited 2014-12-03 09:11
    Hi Camero612,

Publison's question about having a picture of your setup is an important one. The old adage "a picture is worth a thousand words" really applies here because it let's us see just how you have the GPS module wired up. From there, we can give you relevant suggestions. As much extra detail you can give, the better our suggestions will be.

Thank you,
    Daniel
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-12-03 11:03
    I put it out side and wait for more than 15 minutes and nothing changed all the readings show 0 with "GPS Fix : Not Valid "

The PAM-7Q has a satellite lock LED, the same LED that doubles as a power indicator. According to the docs, if that's blinking, it means at least one satellite is in lock. So if you get a blinking LED, but no valid values coming through, then the likely culprit is a wiring error. A photo of your connection would help, but you can also determine at least some things like whether the LED is on at all.

The problem with assisting on forums is that no one knows your level of expertise, and what you've already tried. It does help if you go through the steps you've already taken to troubleshoot. As noted by the others, a clear photo is also a nice bonus.
    edited 2014-12-03 11:26
    I reversed RX and TX and put the GPS outside and wait for few minutes and it finally worked and give me all the parameters . So now I discovered my mistake .

Thank You all for your quick help and Support .
    edited 2014-12-03 12:20
    I reversed RX and TX and put the GPS outside and wait for few minutes and it finally worked and give me all the parameters . So now I discovered my mistake .

Thank You all for your quick help and Support .

Good News!

Feel free to ask more questions.