Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee Wifi Configuration — Parallax Forums

XBee Wifi Configuration

eagletalontimeagletalontim Posts: 1,399
edited 2014-12-08 09:22 in Accessories
Well... I made a mistake and bought the Xbee Wifi without a USB adapter board thinking the adapter board was just to give the module a more user friendly pin spacing. Probably should have done my research a little better. So before I continue any farther, I want to make sure that all I need to configure the XBee Wifi is the USB adapter board part number : 32400. Once it is configured, that configuration stays with the module until reprogrammed correct? I can just purchase 1 USB adapter board and that can work with all XBee Wifi modules correct? Is there anything else that I might need for the module while I have an open shopping cart?

Comments

• banjobanjo Posts: 443
    edited 2014-11-30 07:52
    I also acquired Xbee Wifi soon a year ago and did not know I needed any adapter. With the Activity Board and through AT commands I've though been able to configure everything I've needed. There's a AT command also to write all settings to memory so they stay.
    At least the Activity Board has a Xbee socket available so for that purpose no adapter is needed.
    I've planned to buy the USB adapter myself to make configuration easier, but currently it is out of stock.
    The adapters are though needed in some cases, as always it depends on what you are going to do and what other parts you are using.
  • eagletalontimeagletalontim Posts: 1,399
    edited 2014-11-30 08:03
    I don't have the activity board so it will probably be a little difficult for me since the only way I have to connect to the computer is through a Serial board I made that does not have the ability to control the RST. Could I get this working and use it to program the module?
  • banjobanjo Posts: 443
    edited 2014-11-30 08:08
    Sorry, that's over my head. Wait for the wiser ones to reply :-)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2014-12-02 06:35
    You shouldn't need the RST line. The configuration process all works through the serial connection unless you've really messed it up (by changing the parameters of the "go to command mode" sequence). You obviously need to know the Baud that the xBee is configured for ... I think the default is 9600. I built my own adapter at one point just like you did ... worked fine.
  • eagletalontimeagletalontim Posts: 1,399
    edited 2014-12-02 16:22
    I went ahead and ordered one from digikey even though it was $2 higher. I had several other items I was waiting to get to get above their small order charge. I still can't get the utility to download from the manufacturer's site :(
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-12-08 09:22
    I am planning on doing somethign more in-depth on the XBee Wi-Fi, but here's an application that sends packets to a display in Belgium. http://www.savagecircuits.com/showthread.php?500-Xbee-wifi-via-Wan-IP