running basic stamp program o chrome notebook — Parallax Forums

running basic stamp program o chrome notebook

warrenk107warrenk107 Posts: 3
edited 2014-11-26 03:30 in BASIC Stamp
how do i get basic stamp program to run on my google notebook

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2014-11-25 07:17
    Realistically you can't. The simple explanation is that the Chrome OS is built on Linux while the Stamp Editor is a Windows program. There are libraries (the Stamp tokenizer) available for the MacOS and Linux that do the compiling of Stamp programs, but these are Intel-only binaries and won't run on ARM hardware which is used on many cheap Chrome netbooks. If you're very experienced in programming for Linux and Chrome OS, you could probably get these to work on Intel hardware, but there's no support available to help.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,646
    edited 2014-11-25 11:01
    AJ Milne is working on an open-source Stamp compiler called [a=http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/157846]pbtc[/a] that should work on Chromebooks when it's finished. I haven't used it, but from what I can tell it mostly works but it doesn't understand standard PBASIC yet - his version needs semicolons and curly brackets, like how C does. I assume he's eventually going to make it support normal PBASIC.
  • warrenk107warrenk107 Posts: 3
    edited 2014-11-26 03:29
    Mike Green wrote: »
    Realistically you can't. The simple explanation is that the Chrome OS is built on Linux while the Stamp Editor is a Windows program. There are libraries (the Stamp tokenizer) available for the MacOS and Linux that do the compiling of Stamp programs, but these are Intel-only binaries and won't run on ARM hardware which is used on many cheap Chrome netbooks. If you're very experienced in programming for Linux and Chrome OS, you could probably get these to work on Intel hardware, but there's no support available to help.

thankyou
  • warrenk107warrenk107 Posts: 3
    edited 2014-11-26 03:30
    thankyou very much