Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
THEY call it a Yeti — Parallax Forums

THEY call it a Yeti

mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
edited 2014-11-10 15:44 in Robotics
They call this thing a Yeti
Yeti.jpg

Looks like a Toddler to me. I have one coming my way but I won't be able to do an accurate comparison since I don't have a Toddler. First off, I know it will need a brain transplant...something about an ATmega8L for brains. I did order the aluminum legs option....which makes me wonder if you can hook two together with a U joint in the middle and come up with a 4 legged Yeti (or Toddler).
511 x 511 - 35K

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-11-10 07:37
    Looks like the original legs are plastic? The $33 upgrade to aluminium puts it close to half the original Toddler price.

Ken did say the legs got very expensive when manufacturing came back to the US.

Keep us updated Rick!

Jim
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-11-10 07:47
    Publison wrote: »
    Looks like the original legs are plastic? The $33 upgrade to aluminium puts it close to half the original Toddler price.

Ken did say the legs got very expensive when manufacturing came back to the US.

Keep us updated Rick!

Jim

Yes, it's a bit pricier than the Toddler...of course, now, the Toddlers are PRICELESS!!

I thought the aluminum would be a nice touch....plus it is what I needed to get to "Free Shipping" so they only cost $15!! :innocent:
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-11-10 07:53
    I meant the Yeti is HALF the price of what the Toddler used to go for:

http://davidbuckley.net/DB/inspired/Toddler.htm

A nice B-Ped.
    plus it is what I needed to get to "Free Shipping" so they only cost $15!!

You sly devil. :)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-11-10 14:50
    All this biped Toddler talk forces me to come clean. A background project of mine is a small, simple Toddler/Penguin biped, built on an Altoids tin upper body.

I'm calling dibs on the name "Altoidler" .
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-11-10 15:25
    erco wrote: »
    All this biped Toddler talk forces me to come clean. A background project of mine is a small, simple Toddler/Penguin biped, built on an Altoids tin upper body.

I'm calling dibs on the name "Altoidler" .

I can honestly say I won't fight you for *THAT* name!! :lol:
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-11-10 15:44
    This is just one of numerous copies of (IIRC) Chip's very clever Toddler design. See https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A86.J73bS2FU9EcArUwPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-vz-vz&va=toddler+biped+robot

Yeti, Bigfoot , Kelvin walker, Home Center Walker , are some of the others. Quite frankly, I'm surprised we haven't seen a cheaper plastic version by OWI, Hexbug, or one of the big toy companies. This would also be a very easy project for 3D printing. I wonder if anyone has posted such a project on Thingiverse or Shapeways.