Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fast response temperature sensor — Parallax Forums

Fast response temperature sensor

stromstrom Posts: 1
edited 2014-11-10 10:55 in Accessories
I'm looking for a rapid response heigh sensitivity temperature sensor to detect change in temperature of water flowing in a pipe. Here's other particulars:

The sensor would be exposed to water temperatures in the range of 45F to 165F
I am looking to detect a temperature change of about 0.1F
A test would be done once per day where the temperature of the water in the pipe would be increased by about 1 to 2 degrees F over about a one minute period. I am looking to record that change and detect the beginning of the change as early as possible.
I am thinking the temperature would be sampled at a rate of once every couple of miliseconds if possible.

Is there a temperature sensor out there with this kind of sensitivity and response time

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-11-09 10:48
    There are precision thermistors that fit this bill. Do a Digikey parametric search for the features you want. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of thermistors with different characteristics.
  • Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
    edited 2014-11-09 11:41
    Have a look at the very easy to use LM34. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm34.pdf

Per the graph on page 5 the TO46 (metal can) version Thermal Response in a stirred oil bath is 100% in 3 seconds.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2014-11-09 13:10
    A specific suggestion, one I've found useful, the Murata
    NXFT15XH103FA2B100
    It is a tiny 10kΩ bead thermistor on insulated wire 100mm leads. It would be fairly easy to put it into the flow and to detect the temperature change rapidly.
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    edited 2014-11-09 13:51
    do you measure from outside the pipe - what material.
    or do you get direct medium contact?
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    edited 2014-11-10 10:55
    a DS18B20 1-wire Temp sensor saves you the dealing with an external ADC.

BUT it is slower -
    at 9-bit resolution 94ms sample rate and at
    12-bit 750ms measure time.

It provides even an alarm level, which can be set
    and then an Alarm-Search command finds the sensors (if you have many of them) that are above or below thresholds.

There are 1-Wire Objects in OBEX and for Tachyon-Forth as well.