Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Yes, another 'no basic stamp found' — Parallax Forums

Yes, another 'no basic stamp found'

arnold113arnold113 Posts: 43
edited 2014-12-15 11:03 in BASIC Stamp
I have a HomeWork board that I've played around with for the last year. Lot's of fun, until now. About two weeks ago I started getting the no basic stamp found error message. Sometimes it would work but most times it wouldn't. Now it won't at all. I've read all the post here and done everything suggested but no help. I have a 8.6 vdc power supply hooked to it and everything looks good there. I read the readme file in the Basic Stamp Editor and learned that programs that have serial output within the first 650 miliseconds of starting can cause this problem. I did everything it said to do but no help. I have a program already in the BS2 that outputs serial data within probably a few microseconds. Maybe if I could stop that program from running maybe I could connect but I haven't been able to stop it. Anyone know now to stop a program that you cannot connect to. Another thing that doesn't appear right is the Editor is trying to connect on COM3 but my laptop has COM5 AND COM6 USB ports. The COM3 is the only port listed in Preferences under edit ports. COM3 is not a USB port on my laptop.
I could sure use some help. Thanks. Arnold

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-11-06 08:36
    The problem you described is usually overcome by connecting to the PC before powering up the device. The problem you're referring to is usually associated with a USB devices. If you power up the device after it has connected that should prevent that issue.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,749
    edited 2014-11-06 09:08
    Hello Arnold,

Change the Default COM Port in the BASIC Stamp Editor preferences (F5 - Editor Operation Tab) from COM3 to AUTO. Also be sure your program doesn't have a $PORT directive; You will find it near the top of the program by $STAMP and $PBASIC.

Try using a 9V Battery and only press F6 (Identify).

Are you using a USB HomeWork Board or Serial board with a USB-to-Serial Adapter?

It's always a good idea to put a PAUSE 1000 at the top of your program so the PC Serial Ports have time to stabilize before the Stamp starts outputting data.
  • arnold113arnold113 Posts: 43
    edited 2014-11-06 18:28
    I have a HomeWork bd with on board usb converter. I have tried powering up the stamp after plugging in the USB cable but it doesn't help. I just tried a new 9 volt battery but no help there either. When I go to preferences and click on editor operation it is in auto, it is when I then click on edit ports that the list of com ports is displayed, only com3 is the only port in the list. How do I get com5 or com6 in the list? There is no $PORT directive in the code now. A few days ago I found the $PORT directive in one of my programs. I deleted it, that didn't help either. I'm lost.
    Thanks for your help. Arnold
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,749
    edited 2014-11-06 18:49
    Arnold, What OS are you using? Try deleting and re-installing the FTDI USB drivers from the Parallax website.
    Is there a circuit on your breadboard? Also examine your HomeWork Board and see if anything doesn't look right.
    edited 2014-11-07 08:17
    You said there was a COM in the list but you're looking for COM5 or COM6. By default the FTDI driver will start at COM3 when adding new devices to a system. You can verify in the device manager if the driver is working and it should show up under Ports (COM & LPT) as USB Serial Port (COMxx) where xx is the assign port. Also while in the device manager if you connect and disconnect the HomeWork Board you should see the device appear and disappear from the device manager list.
    edited 2014-11-07 13:21
    Thanks Chris for the lesson in computers. Just goes to show how little I know. I checked out the Device Manager and watched the changing of the guard when I connected and disconnected the device. I deleted the driver and reinstalled. I still get the same old message. I have windows 7 OS and no I have removed everything from the breadboard. The only thing I see different about HomeWork bd is the reset doesn't seem to work. Nothing happens when I push it. Thanks for all the help. I'll be getting back with yall in a few days. I'm going to the woods a hunting. I'm agonna forget about this computer for a couple days. Bye
    edited 2014-11-07 17:00
    If you're getting ECHO=YES and LOOPBACK=YES then there's no port issue. However if you're not getting a device type there are many reasons for that. When you mentioned the reset button I wondered how you determined it not to work? I ask because if the reset button was shorted this could cause that error.
    edited 2014-11-12 15:57
    I get loopback yes echo no and no device type. When I push the reset button nothing happens. I was thinking before an LED flashed on but maybe not. I checked the reset switch with a vom and it checks ok. 5 volts drops to 0 volts when it is depressed. I've read just about all the threads on this problem and I've did all the things thats supposed to fix it. I haven't changed the usb cable cause I don't have another one yet. Also the FIFO I haven't been able to find. Maybe windows 7 doesn't use it or its somewhere else. Please don't give up on me. I really need to get this problem fixed. I've got the program written for my bandsaw saw mill, just got to debug it. Thanks. Arnold
    edited 2014-11-13 08:56
    Did this setup ever work before? No ECHO means that there is a break somewhere in the signal path for the RX/TX (SIN/SOUT) lines. This could be a bent or broken pin not making contact in the socket or something else. I would ensure your BASIC Stamp Module is full inserted into the socket and that all the pins are going into the socket with none of them being bent under or broken.
    edited 2014-11-14 16:11
    I've had this Basic Stamp Homework Bd for a year or so and I've never had any problems until lately. I've been working on the program for my bandsaw saw mill for a few weeks then one day I started to work on it again but it wouldn't connect. I have looked the board over good but can't see any problems. I tried checking out the mini usb connector on the board but it so small and my eyes aren't so great anymore. The Basic Stamp module is a surface mount soldered in. Thanks. Arnold
    edited 2014-11-17 08:47
    No ECHO on a HomeWork Board is not a good sign. On a Board of Education it could easily be a broken pin or loose connection with the module, but on the HomeWork board everything is solid. It can't be the USB connector because if that was problematic you wouldn't even be able to talk to the board. That wouldn't affect ECHO at all. Assuming good power, it really sounds like something has been damaged.
    edited 2014-12-14 11:27
    Chris, I never could get this HomeWork bd to work so I bought another one. Thanks for your help in trying to revive a dead horse.
    Arnold
    edited 2014-12-15 11:03
    Are you saying the new HomeWork Board works?