Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
web service call from a basic stamp????? — Parallax Forums

web service call from a basic stamp?????

Dirty HowiDirty Howi Posts: 20
edited 2014-11-07 07:58 in BASIC Stamp
I dont think this is possible, but as i spend most of my time being wrong about stuff thought i would at least ask.

basically i need a usb in/usb out stamp board to interface to a scale with, that would then send a signal to a previously defined web service to shift the weight from the scale into the service, i can do the math at the service level for conversion.

or am i just better off with a windows service to talk to the scale.

*dons flame proof suit*

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-11-05 11:16
    I suppose a question like this requires more information. For example, what is the web service? Is this code running on a PC? If so, how would it communicate with the outside world?
  • mklrobomklrobo Posts: 420
    edited 2014-11-05 12:09
    :smile: Howi,

Defintely need more info. How about bypassing the usb and use the
    Spinneret Web Server, Product ID 32203, for your purposes? This would allow
    access to the web, and may let you go around communication trial & error on the
    code/circuit end on the USB side. I have not worked with it, but there may be code in
    OBEX for your purposes. :nerd:
  • Dirty HowiDirty Howi Posts: 20
    edited 2014-11-05 13:05
    ok, basically what i have is a web application that needs to interface to a postal type scale. We are starting a international shipping line where we take orders and fulfill them via a partner in europe.

the scale that has been chosen for us has a USB output, i can wire this to windows programs via a HID interface that are readily available.

basically what we wanted was to be able to call a web service from a BS device (this allows us to possibly go blue tooth?) back to the waiting web application. basically as a call to the service that says the weight is now X, then it would pick that up and send it along to our euro partner and they send us back a label to place on the box.

i'll look into the webserver to see if it will work, basically the interface would just take the weight on the scale, and transfer it to the service.

noodling things out is all, wasnt sure if it was even possible.
    edited 2014-11-05 13:49
    Well, you wouldn't call a web service from a BASIC Stamp Module. And that would be completely independent of how you were communicating. Perhaps it's all a matter of perspective or nomenclature.
    edited 2014-11-05 14:04
    then allow me to reframe the question somewhat.

Is there a interface device that i could plug the scale into, that either could host a small service or communicate with an outside service via a browser based application and either USB or network cat 5 cable attached to the base computer given that everything is hosted elsewhere (either in the cloud or ??)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2014-11-05 21:18
    Vaguely related but not Parallax: this Cloudbits thingie just popped up on the Indestructbles contest site. I know nothing about it, but it appears to promise simple connectivity to everything including the kitchen sink. In a snap. :)http://littlebits.cc/cloud
    edited 2014-11-06 08:31
    Not sure I would recommend something I have never used and don't know anything about, especially for someone who may not be able to get support for it. The Spinneret may be your answer here.
    edited 2014-11-06 13:36
    Howi,
    I think I am getting the picture. You already have an interface, (HID), to a windows program. This may be simpler,
    but designs in the future always change. The windows program (I assume) must poll the scale for info. If your proprietary
    program for processing weight will not accept anything but from the Windows program, you may be locked into that.
    Using the spinneret may solve problems in the future. Convert the USB to serial, feed it into the spinneret, and the
    webserver could post the info, accessed from any device on your intranet. If you need diagnostics, that could be
    programmed into the spinneret, to help with other inputs, if needed. More options are avaliable in the spinneret
    for your benefit, reguardless if the windows interface program decides to die, at the busiest time. Hope you
    are successful.
    -Strategy is the heart of survival, and the soul of success.
    :)
    edited 2014-11-06 13:48
    is there any other information (i.e. users manual type stuff) on the spinneret, i think i'm catching on (which is unusual this early in the game). i.e. language for the spinneret, web pages etc. is it pure javascript or can i write it in some other language?? etc. that sort of information would be ideal at this point, heck for under a hundred bucks if i could fix this might be worth something.

as an aside, i'm writing all of it, (except the HID stuff, i just download that) but all the other services etc are pure ol howi.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2014-11-07 04:22
    Another economical way to interface your scale and Stamp is via the old Parallax Internet Netburner Kit ( PINK module). Its up-to-date version is the SB-70 from Netburner and its an easy serial interface to the Stamp.

Cheers,
    edited 2014-11-07 05:33
    Howi,

Now, you have me hooked! I have got to go out and buy one! I did not see the
    potential of the benefits of this until your problem arose. the spinnerete could be used
    with a wireless device (Xbee) to be polled anywhere in the Plant(?). Cheap, simple, and
    effiective, this process, when taught to other troubleshooters, and will let a problem
    be fixed when you are not there. I wonder if this could be used for remote diagnostics?
    The Parallax internet Netburner Kit looks interesting too. Thanks.
    edited 2014-11-07 06:41
    Howi,

Also, there is a spinneret section in the forum about the instructions and projects made. The
    instructions seem to be hosted by someone other than Parallax. Thanks.
    edited 2014-11-07 06:46
    Howi,
    Here are some projects that were winners in teh spinneret competition;
    WINNING ENTRIES
    First Place: Mike G - Multi-Socket Server
    Second Place: Bean - Spinneret Embedded BASIC
    Third Place: chillybasen - Opening a Door Via Text Message

HONORABLE MENTION
    Jeffa - ePhidgetY Home Automation
    bsnut - Wireless Web Based Shipping Monitoring & Control System

The wireless Shipping Monitoring & control system seems to be what you need. Might
    be a good investment, in time, to review. Thanks. :)
    edited 2014-11-07 07:58
    In the Honorable mention section, bsnut used the spinneret with a wireless system. It may be possible to
    use a Current carrier audio system. This would allow you to use the power wires to convey the
    information you need. Power companies use this method. I do not know if any Parallax projects have
    used this path. ? :)