Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How To Use XBee to communicate between ActivityBoard and ActivityBot — Parallax Forums

How To Use XBee to communicate between ActivityBoard and ActivityBot

ValeTValeT Posts: 308
edited 2015-01-16 05:29 in Robotics
Hi,

This is a fun project that one can accomplish within an hour or two. Please post any issues you have with completing this project, because I bet I have also had the issues J.

For this project, I will assume the following is already completed:
  1. You have assembled the standard ActivityBot. If not, follow this link to assemble it and learn the basics of programming. http://learn.parallax.com/activitybot
  2. You have an ActivityBoard with a 2-axis joystick installed. If not, follow this link to assemble the Joystick on the ActivityBoard’s breadboard. http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-simple-devices/joystick

What you will need:
  1. Computer to program robot and ActivityBoard
  2. 1 or 2 USB cables ( Your preference as only 1 is required )
  3. 2 XBee modules of the same model ( I have not tested different models, but maybe it would work )
  4. 4 Jumper wires

How to attach your XBee modules:
It is actually pretty simple to attach your XBee modules to the ActivityBoard. All you need to do is push the XBee module’s pins into the slots available on the ActivityBoard like below. One thing that you should be careful of though is that you install the XBee the right way on the board. A simple check that you can use is where the XBee is facing to. If the non-straight edge of the XBee module is facing inward to the board, you have attached the XBee backwards.

Below should be the final product (first thumbnail).

After you have attached the XBee you only have to attach 2 jumper cables to connect the DI and DO ( Data in and Data out ) pins. In my program, I specified these pins to be 8 and 9, and such had to attach the jumper cables from DI and DO to pins 8 and 9. On my board, I have attached DO to pin 9 and DI to pin 8 as shown below (second thumbnail)

After you have attached the jumper cables, repeat this process for the other ActivityBoard. You’re final product should look like the picture below (third thumbnail).

At this point the hard part should be over. Now, all you have to do is program the robot. Below is the code for the ActivityBot (fourth thumbnail).

//ActivityBot code here
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]#include "simpletools.h"                      // Include libraries
#include "fdserial.h"
#include "abdrive.h"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]fdserial *xbee;[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]int main()                                    // Main function
{
  xbee = fdserial_open( 9, 8, 0, 9600 ); //Begin the serial connection ( this is why we needed the jumper cables connected to pins 8 and 9 )[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]  char data; //Create the variable that will be used to hold the incoming data[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]  while ( 1 ) //repeat this forever or until loss of power
  {
    data = fdserial_rxChar( xbee ); //set data to the data received from the XBee board

if ( data == 'f' ) //If the data incoming is telling the robot to move forward
    {
      drive_speed( 64, 64 ); //move forward at 1/2 speed
    } else if ( data == 'b' ) //If the data incoming is telling the robot to move backward
    {
      drive_speed( -64, -64 ); //move backward at 1/2 speed
    } else if ( data == 'l' ) //If the data incoming is telling the root to turn left
    {
      drive_speed( 0, 64 ); //turn left in a spin turn at 1/2 speed
    } else if ( data == 'r' ) //If the data incoming is telling the robot to turn right
    {
      drive_speed( 64, 0 ); //turn right in a spin turn at 1/2 speed
    } else if ( data == 's' ) //If the data incoming is telling the robot to stop
    {
      drive_speed( 0, 0 ); //stop
    }
  }
}
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Below is the code that you must upload to the ActivityBoard.
//ActivityBoard code here
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]#include "simpletools.h"                      // Include simple tools
#include "fdserial.h"
#include "adcDCpropab.h"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]fdserial *xbee; //Initialize the full-duplex serial connection over XBee[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]int main()
{
  xbee = fdserial_open( 9, 8, 0, 9600 ); //open the serial connection
  adc_init( 21, 20, 19, 18 ); //initialize the analogue connections for the joystick[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]  float lrV, udV; //create 2 float values for incoming joystick values[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]  while ( 1 )
  {
    udV = adc_volts( 2 ); //get values from the joystick
    lrV = adc_volts( 3 );[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    if ( udV < 1.00 ) //if joystick going backward, send backward value
    {
      dprint( xbee, "b" );
    } else if ( udV > 4.00 ) //if joystick going forward, send forward value
    {
      dprint( xbee, "f" );
    } else if ( udV < 4.00 && udV > 1.00 && lrV < 4.00 && lrV > 1.00 ) //if joystick is in center, send stop value
    {
      dprint( xbee, "s" );
    } else if ( lrV < 1.00 ) //if joystick is going left, send left value
    {
      dprint( xbee, "l" );
    } else if ( lrV > 4.00 ) //if joysitck is going right, send right value
    {
      dprint( xbee, "r" );
    }[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    pause( 50 ); //only need to check joystick values 20 times a second
  }
}
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Well, at this point you should be finished and able to control your robot without any issues.

Best of luck!
1024 x 1371 - 177K
1024 x 1371 - 143K
1024 x 765 - 91K
1024 x 765 - 81K

Comments

• arlandiantoarlandianto Posts: 8
    edited 2014-11-03 18:22
    Nice tutorial! Thank you :smile:
  • ValeTValeT Posts: 308
    edited 2014-11-04 05:02
    Nice tutorial! Thank you :smile:

No problem!

Hope it helps you in your future endeavors :)
  • gurrolajohn41gurrolajohn41 Posts: 1
    edited 2014-11-04 19:43
    thats realy informative
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-11-04 20:10
    ValeT!

Today Courtney showed me this project in action and it was truly awesome! Excellent work, all around! We will be featuring it on Learn.parallax.com after she contacts you for approval. Way to go, my friend!

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-11-06 05:00
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    ValeT!

Today Courtney showed me this project in action and it was truly awesome! Excellent work, all around! We will be featuring it on Learn.parallax.com after she contacts you for approval. Way to go, my friend!

Ken Gracey

Thank you very much mr. Gracey!!! Glad I am able to help!

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help out.

ValeT
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2014-11-13 09:02
    This project is now proudly hosted on Learn.Parallax.com.

http://learn.parallax.com/project/joystick-controlled-activitybot

Thanks Vale!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-11-13 10:05
    Congrats Vale! Your published!

You'll get rich off of residuals. :)
    edited 2014-11-14 03:53
    Publison wrote: »
    Congrats Vale! Your published!

You'll get rich off of residuals. :)

Thanks for the kind words Publison!!
    This project is now proudly hosted on Learn.Parallax.com.

http://learn.parallax.com/project/jo...ed-activitybot

Thanks Vale!

No problem! Let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help out!
  • raoramanaraoramana Posts: 9
    edited 2014-12-17 07:38
    Hi Vale
    I setup the joy stick and uploaded the program as described. The Activity Bot behaves strange! When I use the joystick to move forward it does but with some hesitation and any other joystick movement results in the Bot going round and round and any further joystick actions are erratic. What is going on? Checked the Xbee and Joystick operation and they seem to work as per the projects on Parallax.com. Thanks
    edited 2014-12-17 14:03
    raoramana,

First, make sure you are using fresh batteries and that none of your connections are loose.

If those are good, can you post an image of your board and robot setup? Did you make sure to do the calibration for the encoders when you set up your robot?
  • raoramanaraoramana Posts: 9
    edited 2014-12-19 11:25
    Have done the calibration of the wheels etc. Roam with ping project ran flawless.
    edited 2014-12-19 11:30
    raoramana wrote: »
    Hi Vale
    I setup the joy stick and uploaded the program as described. The Activity Bot behaves strange! When I use the joystick to move forward it does but with some hesitation and any other joystick movement results in the Bot going round and round and any further joystick actions are erratic. What is going on? Checked the Xbee and Joystick operation and they seem to work as per the projects on Parallax.com. Thanks

raoramana,

Is everything on the activitybot correct? Are your continuous servos on the right port? The spinning sounds like the connections might be swapped. Also, can you take the forward drive command from my program and put them into a while loop? Does that make the robot move forward fine?

Also, do your XBees lose connection randomly? This might also cause that issue.
    edited 2014-12-19 11:31
    Just saw your post, sorry for the late reply :) .

Are the XBees working correctly?
  • Patrick LangPatrick Lang Posts: 15
    edited 2014-12-20 19:15
    Do you by any chance have a spin version of the codes?
    Thanks Pat ang
    edited 2014-12-23 05:20
    As of now, I have not had a chance to write a version of the spin code. I will try to do this this week and have a working version up by Saturday.

Sorry for the late reply!
    edited 2014-12-23 17:32
    Thank you very much for sharing your work. I've recently built a propeller BOE-Bot. I'm using an mx2125 on an activity board to navigate similar to chapter 7 of XBEE tutorial. I have a 2x joy stick and would like to set that up on the activity board instead of the mx2125 accelerometer. I'm just getting into spin and don't want to learn c yet. This would be a great project for me. Thanks again.
    Pat Lang
    edited 2014-12-31 13:30
    Patrick Lang,

Sorry, but I just got back from a vacation/trip. I will try to have the code up ASAP.

So sorry for the delay!!!!!

Have a great new year,
    ValeT
    edited 2015-01-14 12:03
    Here is spin code for navigating the propeller BOEBot with a 2 axis joy stick.
    This is the spin code for the joy stick board.
     {{ Reads 2 axis joystick,
       sends drive information to bot at address 1.}}

CON

_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

' Set pins and Baud rate for XBee comms
      XB_Rx     = 7       ' XBee Dout
      XB_Tx     = 6       ' XBee Din
      XB_Baud   = 9600
      MY_Addr  = 0
      DL_Addr  = 1        ' bot address

'Constants used by joystick Object
      Xout_pin    =  0    'Propeller pin joystick X 
      Yout_pin    =  2    'Propeller pin joystick Y 

VAR  
      long  drive, UD, LR
      byte  Stack[100]

OBJ
      pst        : "FullDuplexSerial"
      XB         : "XBee_Object"
      rc         : "RCTime"
    PUB Start
             ' Configure XBee
      XB.start(XB_Rx, XB_Tx, 0, XB_Baud)                       ' Initialize comms for XBee
      XB.AT_Init                                               ' Fast AT updates
      XB.AT_ConfigVal(string("ATMY"), MY_Addr)   
      XB.AT_ConfigVal(string("ATDL"), DL_Addr)
      cognew(sendcontrol,@Stack)       ' start cog to accept incoming data

Pub SendControl
            drive :=5
            repeat
              rc.rctime(0, 1, @UD)                                        'RC time joystick x axis
              rc.rctime(2, 1, @LR)                                        'RC time joystick y axis

IF UD < 100
                  drive := 1                                             ' 1 is forward
              IF UD > 130
                 drive := 2                                               '2 is backward                                                 
             IF LR > 130  and UD < 100
               drive := 3                                                 '3 is left going forward
             IF LR < 100 and UD <100
               drive := 4                                                 '4 is right going forward
             IF UD >100 AND UD <130 AND LR > 100 AND LR <130
              drive := 5                                                  '5 is stop
             IF LR > 130 and UD > 130
                drive := 6                                                '6 is left going backward
             IF LR < 100 and UD > 130
                 drive := 7                                               '7 is right going backwards 
             XB.DEC(drive)                                                ' send drive value to BOEBot
             XB.tx(13)

This is the spin code for the propeller BOEBot
    {{ Accept control information from node 0 joystick
       to drive propeller BOEbot.}}
    CON                          
      _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

' I/O and Baud rate for XBee comms 
      XB_Rx     = 6       ' XBee Dout
      XB_Tx     = 7       ' XBee Din
      XB_Baud   = 9600

' XBee addresses
      DL_Addr = $ffff     ' Send data to this address (both controller)
      MY_Addr = 1          ' This units address

' Servo outputs
       Left  = 14
       Right = 15

VAR
      long  drive

OBJ
      XB     : "XBee_Object"
      system : "Propeller Board of Education"           
      servo  : "PropBOE-Bot Servo Drive"
      time   : "Timing"

PUB Start
      ' Initialize XBee Comms and stop wheels
      XB.Start(XB_Rx, XB_Tx ,0, XB_Baud)
       servo.wheels(0,0)

' Enable XBee for fast configation changes &
      ' set MY and DL (destinaton) address.
      XB.AT_Init
      XB.AT_ConfigVal(string("ATMY"), MY_Addr)   
      XB.AT_ConfigVal(string("ATDL"), DL_Addr)

repeat  
        XB.RXFlush                                                               'clear data
        drive := XB.RXDec                                                        'accept drive values from node 0    
        case drive                      

1:                                                                     'forward                    
             servo.wheels(64, 64)                                                
          2:                                                                      'reverse
              servo.wheels(-64, -64)
         3:                                                                       'right turn going forward
              servo.wheels(64, 0)
         4:                                                                       'left turn going forward
              servo.wheels(0, 64)          
         5:                                                                        'stop
              servo.wheels(0,0)                                                   
         6:                                                                        'right turn going backwards
              servo.wheels(-64,0)
         7:                                                                        'left turn going backwards
              servo.wheels(0,-64)

edited 2015-01-14 12:15
    I guess that came through OK. I used RC to generate joy stick data as in the Parallax joy stick demo. sent data by XBEE to boe bot and used cases to set the wheel servos. I mounted the joy stick on an activity board but guess any board will do. My first attempt to post code, sorry if it isn't in proper format
    thanks Pat Lang
    edited 2015-01-14 13:06
    Place the forward slash before the word "code" in your ending code tag and it will display properly as a code block.

[ /code ] (without the spaces)
    edited 2015-01-14 13:26
    Thanks. I try again latter.
    edited 2015-01-14 13:34
    Oh wow! I just learned how to edit my post. It seems in the right format now.
    edited 2015-01-15 05:19
    Oh wow! I just learned how to edit my post. It seems in the right format now.

Yes, it is in the correct format now.

I am sorry that I have not had a chance to put up any code; I've been trying to fix my robot for an FTC competition :D . I will test out your code as soon as possible. Does it work fine or are you getting any errors?
    edited 2015-01-15 07:27
    I've made a few modifications and will post newest version later. I works great. I've been learning how to post it, and am getting there. Thanks for inspiring me to try my hand at programming. Until now I've pretty much been following instructions for building things on boards and using provided code. That only got me so far in learning spin. Will post again later with circuit of RCtime for joy stick and explanation of what I did.
    Thanks again. Pat Lang
    edited 2015-01-15 15:04
    I've made a few modifications and will post newest version later. I works great. I've been learning how to post it, and am getting there. Thanks for inspiring me to try my hand at programming. Until now I've pretty much been following instructions for building things on boards and using provided code. That only got me so far in learning spin. Will post again later with circuit of RCtime for joy stick and explanation of what I did.
    Thanks again. Pat Lang

Awesome!!! I am still REALLY new to Spin myself and would appreciate any simple code you can give me to learn spin.
    Thanks for inspiring me to try my hand at programming

No problem!!! I am glad something I am doing can help out other people!!!! I am also pretty new to programming, especially spin as shown above.

Maybe you could help me with an issue I am getting.....For some reason, my XBees are randomly losing signal ( i.e. the blue and red lights are turning off ) and the robot continues moving in the same position it was moving when it was working. Do you have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,
    Vale
  • banjobanjo Posts: 443
    edited 2015-01-16 01:11
    ValeT wrote: »
    Maybe you could help me with an issue I am getting.....For some reason, my XBees are randomly losing signal ( i.e. the blue and red lights are turning off ) and the robot continues moving in the same position it was moving when it was working. Do you have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,
    Vale

Same is actually happening for me when controlling the Activity Bot with my iPad (going through the WLan router) and I've not been able to find a solution. I'm not sure if it's the iPad that is losing the signal to the router or if it's the XBee. I might try to set up a point to point connection at some time to see if that works better, but as it involves a lot of reconfiguration of the XBee I've procrastinated it.
    Do you have point-to-point connection?
    edited 2015-01-16 04:01
    banjo wrote: »
    Same is actually happening for me when controlling the Activity Bot with my iPad (going through the WLan router) and I've not been able to find a solution. I'm not sure if it's the iPad that is losing the signal to the router or if it's the XBee. I might try to set up a point to point connection at some time to see if that works better, but as it involves a lot of reconfiguration of the XBee I've procrastinated it.
    Do you have point-to-point connection?

Yes, I am using XBee to XBee. I have not been able to find a solution either, but I am thinking maybe there is a short? Although, I don't know why that would affect the drive.......
  • iseriesiseries Posts: 1,475
    edited 2015-01-16 04:21
    With the WiFi version of the Xbee there is a TCP timeout set by default like a webserver. So it there is no data coming through it will hang up after 6.4 seconds or 1 minute.

After that you have to make a new connection. Had the same thing happen when I setup my project some time ago.

The ATTM and ATTS commands is what you want to look at.

TCP timeout. Set/Read the timeout for connection on TCP client sockets. If 0, socket closes immediately after data sent. (6.4 seconds)

TCP Server Socket Timeout. Set/Read the timeout for connection on a TCP server socket. This is a socket whose connection was initiated at the other end. (1 minute)

Mike
  • banjobanjo Posts: 443
    edited 2015-01-16 04:24
    Thx! Need to look into this, had once searched for timeout related AT-commands but might have missed (or probably not understood) these.
    edited 2015-01-16 05:29
    iseries wrote: »
    With the WiFi version of the Xbee there is a TCP timeout set by default like a webserver. So it there is no data coming through it will hang up after 6.4 seconds or 1 minute.

After that you have to make a new connection. Had the same thing happen when I setup my project some time ago.

The ATTM and ATTS commands is what you want to look at.

TCP timeout. Set/Read the timeout for connection on TCP client sockets. If 0, socket closes immediately after data sent. (6.4 seconds)

TCP Server Socket Timeout. Set/Read the timeout for connection on a TCP server socket. This is a socket whose connection was initiated at the other end. (1 minute)

Mike

Thanks! I will take a look into this and report back as soon as possible....