Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Power Wheels conversion to RC car — Parallax Forums

Power Wheels conversion to RC car

!Tom!!Tom! Posts: 2
edited 2014-11-01 14:25 in Robotics
Hello,

I am a student working with a group to design and construct our senior capstone project. We plan to take a Power Wheel children's battery power car and turn it into a RC car with some bells and whistles. We are still in the planning and beginning of the design stage and I am looking for some insight on the best way to do things. The 10,000 foot view consists of 3 major components: a wireless camera mounted to the vehicle to allow for remote operation, a GUI application to display the camera view along with vehicle speed, RPM, remaining battery life, and with any luck a GPS position overlaid on a local map, and the vehicle itself. In doing preliminary research I found that Parallax seems to offer the various hardware needed to create this thing. On the vehicle I think (looking for suggestions) we will need a PWM controller like the HB-25 to control the speed of the existing DC motor. Possibly a Hall affect sensor to measure RPM, a stepper of servo motor to integrate into the steering and a controller for it, a GPS, ultrasonic sensors to use for anti-collision detection, a wireless camera, and a micro-controller to handle I/O's. The GUI application would run on a laptop or tablet (depending on the available ports) and a game controller would be used to control the vehicle from the same location as the laptop.

I have not decided on the best way to handle the PC interface's or the wireless architecture. I think that I will need to have a separate input to the PC from the camera because of available baud rate on the wireless connection between the micro-controller and the PC. I am also thinking that it will be easier to use a game controller with a USB interface to the laptop rather than have another wireless interface to the PC or directly to the micro-controller. I have not settled on a particular micro-controller at this point either. I think the best way to go is to have all of the logic run on the micro-controller rather than on the PC. I have a Freescale Tower with a AXM-0606 RevB Board (ADC/DAC converter), a AXIOM-MC9S12G128 micro-controller, and a TWR-DEV-PERIPH board; this is a modular development kit so I can get other boards to integrate with it. But, I am not sure it has the horse power to handle the job.

As I said,I am still in the early stages of the design so I am looking for suggestions from more experienced hands.

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-10-31 20:19
    I would suggest using a propeller to control the sensors and motors you mention in your post. There are wireless modules for communication between the vehicle and it's controller as well as objects in the OBEX for communications and to run the hardware.

For the video you should look at using an IP camera and wireless router. It's a simple, inexpensive, and reliable way of getting the video to the laptop.
  • !Tom!!Tom! Posts: 2
    edited 2014-11-01 14:25
    I had the same idea for connecting the camera. The router will increase the range and separate the signals. Thanks for confirming my initial thoughts on this.